PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Would ban the sale of all pipes in Florida. This is ridiculous.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
It's a rather... oddly worded bill. At point the bill states...
prohibiting the retail sale of certain smoking pipes and devices;
Only to go on and say...
It is unlawful for any person to offer for sale at retail any of the following items

(a) Metal, wooden, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic smoking pipes, with or without screens, permanent screens, or punctured metal bowls.

(b) Water pipes.

(c) Carburetion tubes and devices.

(d) Chamber pipes.

(e) Carburetor pipes.

(f) Electric pipes.

(g) Air-driven pipes.

(h) Chillums.

(i) Bongs.

(j) Ice pipes or chillers.
While it's rather clear what they're trying to ban here, by featuring wood and ceramic in the banned materials, they've banned tobacco pipes. Either Flordia pipe smokers need to get word to their State House, or they risk loosing the right to buy pipes in their home state. Unless they're happy only smoking corn cob pipes. Here is the copy of the current bill as it stands.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
That bill is unconstitutional
It's not the first time...
If, for some ungodly reason it passes, WHICH IT SHOULDN'T
Wouldn't be the first time...
I guess, since I live in Florida, and the bill applies to retail sales of pipes, I will have to sell only wholesale to out of state dealers if I want to continue making pipes. There's no way I can pay the bills selling wholesale only, unless I double my prices.
Sheesh! Stupid, stupid! What next?

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Crap like this will never stop until the politicians are finally made to realize that they work for us,
They don't work for us. Not you and me anyway! They work for the "this is how you should live your life" bigoted majority. The people of America are begging and pleading for a nanny state, perpetuated by the fear-propoganda campaigns of special interest groups.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
If they pass it we need to have a million pipe march in Florida! Who's with me??!!
Well, the problem is, of those million pipes, 990,000 of them will be crack pipes and bongs... Hence the origins of this bill. But this bill is the wrong approach to the problem. It will not curb drug use or abuse, not one bit. This will do nothing but hurt people who are trying to make an honest living. There's aways going to be something to smoke drugs out of... What are they going to do next? Outlaw the sale of soda cans?

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
...even if it is political, it's extremely relevant to our beloved hobby, and needs discussion and exposure. Nevertheless, my apologies are sincere, and I'll completely understand if this texts gets deleted.
Agreed. That said, I will close with this:
I see the people of America migrating toward one of two categories. A few are becoming the fear-mongers, and the rest are the brainwashed suckers...
I weep for our future.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
You're right they didn't say anything about cobs! But that begs the question what's the point of the bill anyhow? It's ridiculous... I've known plenty of stoners and most of them became lack luster MacGyvers when it came to smoking pot. Just because some guy can't walk into a head shop won't do anything. I've seen people smoke pot out of apples... Will they attempt to ban produce? :roll: not to mention they'll just order their "decorative vase" online anyway or just cross the state line.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I didn't mention crack cocaine and I apologize for the oversight, but I've busted students with makeshift rock pipes from a ball point pens and the custodial staff inevitably finds them in the bathroom trash, apparently they only last for one rock.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

Filed yesterday:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/0049/Amendment/277001/PDF

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
The significant portion of changes now reads:
"a) It is unlawful for a person to knowingly and willfully sell or offer for sale at retail any drug paraphernalia described in s. 893.145(12)(a)-(c) or (g)-(m), other than a pipe that is primarily made of briar, meerschaum, clay or corn cob."

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's been the law here in Alabama since the late sixties.

Now according to the retailers of any thing from "roach clips" to "bongs" are "reffered" (pun intended) to tobacco accessories. They can sell them, but you can't posses them. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.