Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
So I've been into pipe smoking for almost a year, and I must say I do enjoy my aromatics and English. Lately I came into the video of people buying flogglewerks pipes, they do look beautiful, but I also noticed they sell herbal blends on their site with Lord of the Rings names, does anybody know how they taste or anything about them. Thanks

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Everything listed there is listed as tea, definitely not for smoking. Technically there aren't tea though but tisanes. The pipes are made from materials that tobacco pipes usually are not made from and are likely better for decoration than smoking.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
So basically, I'm buying tea, what about the pipes, some people say they are good smokers??

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
They're not so much pipes as they are props for those who want to play dress up and walk around in a forest collecting berries while dressed in burlap after they've read a book.

Jan 8, 2013
They are actually suggesting on the website that the herbal blends are for either pipe or tea... 8O Whaaaaaaat?
I think I'll pass.

Mar 31, 2014
I think they're mad of myrtle wood and I've read about quick burnouts. If you want to get the LOTR feel, I think a churchwarden would be the best bet for something that actually smokes well.
Or, maybe you could commission Floggle to make a briar for you...

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
Lol, I felt like I asked my friends if could stick a banana in my butt, everybody told me I could, but it's not what is really made for. I get the point jeje, any thoughts on Hobbits weed and it's brother blend. I want to order a sample, but I feel I might be missing out on some.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
This is how a feel lol after asking about trying herbal blends
pp,375x360.jpg

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Tewksbury Hobbits Weed? I have heard that some love it. I consider it a mediocre cherry blend at best. Now Nosferatu on the other hand... :)

floggle

Lurker
Sep 23, 2014
Myrtlewood has been used for hundreds of years, as a pipe wood by native americans, but is only available in an extremely small geographic area. I have been smoking a myrtle pipe that has lasted well over 30 years. Still a cool smoke and the wood is striking.

Herbal blends are the exact same ingredients you will find blended into more expensive lines of tobacco. You can smoke them straight but I suggest mixing with a cheap tobacco to really enhance your experience and save money.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I guess I'll be the one. I bought a hobbit pipe after seeing Stogiefarts on youtube plug them. I like churchwardens in general not just because of LOTR.
For the price I said wth. It has a really open draw, which i like. It smokes just as well as any other pipe I have. It's not a very deep bowl, but still can achieve a good 30 min smoke. The draw hole is in the middle of the bottom of the bowl kind of like a Falcon. I have only smoked it a hand full of times, but it looks like it will hold up well.
*You need extra long pipe cleaners or buy a roll and cut them to length.
**Felt like I should come back and add, that I would buy another.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Floggle, what research have you done or refered to that ensures all your herbs are safe for smoking? While a few of the things you are using may be present in aromatics, theres quite a few that I have never seen in any tobacco blend. Those in use are usually used in small amounts compared to the amount of tobacco and only the essence is used, not the physical plant matter. Pardon my bluntness but I'm always sceptical of such claims. We smoke tobacco around here and it may not be the best thing for health but we know it won't result in any fungal infections or other adverse reactions.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
blackhat, don't feel bad man. We were all Nick the new guy once. Welcome and ask all the questions you want. I will tell you though that if you are interested in "herbal" blends, you can pick up a blend with Deertoungue in it. I am crazy about Cornell and Diehl Gentleman Caller. It is a Virginia/Perique with Deertongue. Deertongue imparts a somewhat "herbal" flavor. Some say a vanilla/mint. I can't really describe it. Gentleman Caller is described as an aromatic but is not cased (that I'm aware of.) But if you ask me, out of the tin it smells like oatmeal raisin cookies and tastes just as good!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Warning about Deertongue… it is a very fragrant condiment for any blend. It will stink up a house in no time if not stored in an airtight container.
-Jason

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
Thanks for all your opinions and help. I decided to buy a pipe and try out a herbal blend, gonna try mixing it with the tobacco and see what happens. If it works well good, if it doesn't at least I tried. You gotta try everything in life.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
blackhat84, maybe ask the opinion of the floggle owners for the mix ratio and with what. If they are selling them, I would hope they are also trying the blends themselves.
I still think the pipe will smoke well for you no matter what you put in it. I didnt buy any of the herbal stuff but I like the pipe and tamper combo I got.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I can't think of a single blend I would want to add tea to but I would not add much if I did. I'm not sure what you're already smoking but a non aromatic and straight forward blend would likely be wise, so as not to overdo it. I'm not interested in it myself and I am still a bit skeptical but I would certainly be interested to hear your experience if you decide to try it. Sounds like the myrtle wood pipes aren't bad, the prices make trying one pretty painless.

Status
Not open for further replies.