PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2019
I just recently got some sandalwood chips. I have always loved the smell of it and got the crazy idea to put a piece in one of my tobacco bags to maybe add some flavor. Has anyone ever tried this?

No, I have never tried this, but if I were to... I would add the chips to a tobacco that is known to readily take on aromas. Some are better than others. I would probably try a maryland tobacco, or maybe a double toasted burley like D&Rs Two Timer, as it seems (to me) that it would compliment a woodsy sandalwood. But, myself... I am not that crazy about the idea of smoking sandalwood.

Reactions: aquadoc
Aug 25, 2019
Yea it was just a thought and I am not entirely sure how it will turn out. I have it in my "Mix" bag which is just my left over bits from previous bags that were not enough to fill up a pipe and I didn't want to waste any of it.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've been using a sandalwood/vanilla scented face wash lately and I love the smell of it.
Maybe add some chips to a vanilla blend you like. I think they make a good combo.

I wonder if it would be better to grind it into a powder and mix in the bag or leave the chip whole.
I would first check into the toxicity of burning the actual wood of sandalwood. It may be no big deal, but I don't know for sure. It would seem that GH&co would already have a sandalwood if it were ok... but then again, it may be too manly for them to use, as they seem to prefer rose and grandma soap scents. puf

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Sandalwood seems to be a big seller in the incense industry, so lots of people have inhaled that version of sandalwood smoke.

I recently heard a radio talk show about those who raise and sell industrial hemp. It doesn't have enough of the active ingredient (thc ?) so it can't get anybody normal high. It seems that part of the industrial hemp plant is suitable for smoking, and a lot of people are already doing so.

Makes me wonder if we'll soon see pipe tobacco blends which contain some proportion of industrial help.

Or, if tobacco goes away, industrial hemp, tomato leaves, deertongue, etc.

Jun 23, 2019
I wonder if it would be better to grind it into a powder and mix in the bag or leave the chip whole.

Unless you have a way of filtering it all out later I would not recommend mixing in a powder. I don't think you should be smoking that stuff - I'd leave it chunky.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In general, I wouldn't try burning various non-tobacco substances in your pipe. Yeah, we all have flavoring, either aromatic flavorings or casings, etc. The ingredients of incense is inhaled, but presumably not in as high a dose as ambient pipe smoke (even though we mostly don't inhale in the cigarette smoker way). There are toxic materials, on the one hand, but also allergies specific to individuals on the other. Just not worth the risk. Time-tested pipe tobacco is the best choice, in moderation.

1. Grind the sandalwood to a powder
  2. Burn it as incense
  3. Smoke a pipe WITHOUT it but in the same room

You will smell sandalwood and enjoy a good smoke. Don’t smoke it in a pipe. There are many reasons but the most important reason is ... sandalwood is often fake. It is normal wood with some casing of perfume so you really not sure what are you smoking. Also, smoking sandalwood is not a normal practice as far as I know

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I also love the aroma of sandalwood. As a soapmaker, I've done a little research on the essential oil and found that it is not without some toxicity concerns. All of which is a moot point, because real sandalwood oil is exceedingly expensive. most of what is sold as sandalwood oil isn't real sandalwood oil. A lot like Kona coffee or Perique, in that a lot more is sold than is made.

Sandalwood incense will most certainly not contain real sandalwood, but even if it does, be aware that incense can be bad juju as well.

As for the toxicity of the wood itself, I have not been able to find any data on that. The databases of wood toxicity that I'm familiar with don't list it. But I did pick up this gem of advice on a botany forum:

"Since there's no authority to guarantee purity, sandalwood oil is oftenadulterated with other materials, notably castor oil, and other woodstreated with sandalwood oil are sold as sandalwood. "

Last edited:

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I would not smoke sandalwood. Regular aromatic tobaccos must be flavoured with extracts. I would rather get some sandalwood extract or oil and put a few drops of it in the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.