PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticbrewer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
I have been exploring Burley blends lately in a quest to find my "go to" burley blend.
I usually tend to favor burleys with oat, molasses, marshmallow, and/or cocoa-like characteristics
Blends that I have found really meet this definition include: 656 aged burley flake, prince albert, carter hall, edgeworth ready rubbed, and C&D nightrain (somewhat)
There are also blends that seem to have a more acrid bitterness (almost cigar like in some ways) in addition to earthy tones such as:

Pegasus, Old Joe Krantz
I was curious if there was something that could easily be used to differentiate the subtypes when looking for a new tobacco? I have heard white burley has more of the acridity to it - are burley similar to virginias in their subtypes (bright, red, yellow dark)?
Lastly, if you know of any blends that meet the former category (sweeter, more molasses-like) I am always looking for blends that are readily available and just as good as aged burley flake :)

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Granger. An “over-the-counter” blend similar to PA and CH but with a lovely molasses flavor.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I was curious if there was something that could easily be used to differentiate the subtypes when looking for a new tobacco
If JimInks has reviewed a Burley blend you're curious about on tobaccoreviews.com (more likely than not), you can just check whether he uses any of your keywords in his description. That's what I've been doing, and it seems to work great. It's also not a bad idea to keep in mind that many Burley blends, especially C&D blends, initially seem to be lacking in the cocoa-nutty-oats-molasses department when you first open the tin/pouch, but will sweeten right up after a few weeks in a jar. Personally, when I'm in the mood for a sweet-ish Burley blend, I usually reach for Amphora Original or one of the Uhle's Burley blends. But that's just me, and my palate is not to be trusted.

celticbrewer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Good to know thanks! Ill be aging these CD blends out for a while then. Always wanted to try Uhle burleys and granger... will be upping these on my "to try" list.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I recommend MacBaren HH Burley Flake.

It's creamy and it has the oat flavor that I haven't found in any other burleys yet.
I also have tried C&D Reburn and Burley Flake #5, two of which I don't care for that much. They have a more spicy and bold profile, albeit with the addition of dark fired kentucky.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I should know, being a burley fan, but I'll follow this thread and learn. I really enjoy Tabac-Manil Semois thick and medium cut, a burley variant (from Belgium). Lately I've discovered Daughters and Ryan Two Timer, twice toasted burleys; the over-toasted flavor fades and it becomes more mellow. A Forums member sent me a sample of the soon-to-be marketed Amphora Burley from Sutliff which has a sturdy and somewhat nuanced flavor, to me. Granger is good. Also Iwan Ries Three Star Blue and Edward G. Robinson. If you like a lighter nuanced and refined English blend with burley, Nat Sherman 536 is excellent. For burley sussed out for flavors in a defined way, see jiminks reviews. C&D is the master of original and varied use of burley; if it is C&D and has burley as the base or as a condiment, it does it artfully and well. You can't like every blend they do, but most will find many they like. Billy Budd is great use of burley and cigar leaf. Burley can be polarizing among pipe smokers: Some love it, some really dislike it, and some can't taste it. But for those who enjoy burley, it is mighty good.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you want something sweeter then a vabur might be worth a look. Mac Baren Old Dark Fired and Solani 660 Silver Flake are both available at smokingpipes.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Other OTC burleys that I love are Chatham Manor (Russ O's match for Carter Hall) and Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed (formerly Edgeworth). As for Uhle's, their blend #00 and #300 are both excellent! Mac Baren Navy Flake is a burley-based flake that is lightly aromatic and very good, too.

celticbrewer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Love Lane RR! Havent tried Chatham yet.
Anyone have any thoughts on burley subtypes? I see whites, indonesians, malawi burley often referenced in reviews and was unsure if any of these contribute to flavor profiles

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
+1 on Mac Baren HH Burley Flake. Very smooth.
Also give Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake a try. It’s got a bit of added cocoa and molasses flavor

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I've been on the Burley journey lately myself. I find myself going to these over others. They just have such diversity in the flavor and experience. Big N Burley, Pegasus and Tobac Manil just always sound good.
Solani Aged Burley Flake was my most recent trial and Damn is it good. The great thing is it is nothing like those other awesome blends. I will cellar all of these Burley forward gems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks recently reviewed, and cloyd sent me a sample from the Chicago pipe show, of Amphora Burley, a pouch tabacco, rough cut with a big sturdy flavor, definitely worth a try. I hear smokingpipes.com has it now. (My operating system ain't opening sites right now.)

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I just found a new one myself: Watch City Slices. Similar to your first list. I find it to be a very relaxing and comforting smoke with plenty of that nutty, earthy, slightly sweet character. I second the recommendation for the HH Burley Flake which I acquired in the same order. Excellent stuff.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Burley is a beautiful thing. :)
Here's my favorites:
Deeper / richer flavors and not too sweet: Solani ABF, Amphora Burley

Slightly lighter and sweeter: Wessex Burley Slice, D&R Two Timer, Uhle's Blend 00

Sweetest (most added sugar): ERR Match, Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley, Sutliff Breckenridge

Pure Burley with no additions: 5 Brothers, Semois
Runner up blends with added Virginia: Watch City Slices, HH Burley Flake, C&D OJK Blue Label, C&D Briar Fox
There are, of course, others but these are all in my frequent rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cobguy, great thumbnail on the burley world. I surmise there's an article for tobacconists spelling this out in professional detail, but for a quick reference, c'est tout. I'm printing this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.