Flakes - Any Information on Selection and Packing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
Being new to pipes and limited at my B&M, I do not have any information on flakes. I would like to try them since I am a cigar smoker and am interested in more full flavor tobacco than the aros I have been smoking.
Any advice would help..

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
See this thread for recommended blends.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cigrmasters-list-of-flakes
As for packing, I use the cube cut method. Lots of info here on how to do that.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I am a fan of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake as well as Luxury Twist Flake. The LBF I have tried to rub out, tried to cube cut, but I find the fold and stuff method works best for me. The LTF on the other hand is great rubbed out.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Great link by werdna
I'd say Escudo, Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue. Also I'd second the Stokkebye stuff.
Solani Silver 660.
Also as your new I suggest you may want to give some Latakia blends a shot as well as some Orientals.

For those I recommend Frog Morton Cellar and McClelland's Yenidje Highlander
Here take a look at this video:

Cube Cut

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
math:
Of course, flakes aren't the only tobaccos that can give you natural tobacco flavor! But, yes, do check out cigrmaster's list for flake recommendations.
Two opposing thoughts. First, I wouldn't recommend a flake to anyone who is new to pipes. Second, Don't be intimidated by flakes.
Here's where I'm coming from:
1. Flakes are not really smokeable as they arrive in the can. At the very least, you need to fold them to get them into a pipe. Some cut them up. I prefer to rub them out completely; I haven't noticed any improvement in flavor by handling them any other way. (They will burn slower if you cut them up or just fold-and-stuff, but they burn slow enough for me anyway.) You'll be helped immensely in your own endeavors if you've already gained some experience with packing a pipe with a variety of different non-flake blends and cuts. In addition, flakes, more than other cuts (except, maybe plugs!), yield their richest smoking experiences when smoked very patiently, very slowly. This is when the flavors really pop and you can truly see what all the excitement's about. But smoking slowly is not typically something that beginning pipe smokers do well; it has to be learned over time. Coming from cigars, you're ahead of the game. But still...
2. There is no right or wrong way to prepare a flake for your bowl. We constantly meet folks here who stress out about trying their first flake, wanting to make sure they do everything right. Well, IMO, as long as the tobacco is in the bowl, you can light it, and it has the right draw, then you're home free. (How do you know if it's the "right draw"? See Point 1 above.) You can fold up a flake or two and just stuff it in; ruffle the tobacco at the top of the bowl to give you something that lights easily, and you're set. Cut it into tiny squares or the geometric shape of your preference. Rub it out halfway, leaving some chunks. Or rub it out completely and treat it as if it were never a flake at all. There is nothing here to stress about.
Just my .02!
Bob

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Flakes are definately where it's at and Harris' list is a great reference point. Unfortunately, a few of those tobaccos are hard to find.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I respect Harris' list but it's not exhaustive by any means. In particular, he excludes anything featuring red virginias due to his personal issue with it. However, that leaves out some great stuff. Also, there are a number of good flakes like the lakelands that aren't his personal taste.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
Fitzy, I just got my first TAD shipment and tried some Frogmorton Cellar.
It was nice and smoky, much more than the Sutliff Sunrise Smoke I had been puffing. It also had a nice undertone with the aged in barrels aspect. It definitely had the oomph I was missing in the Sunrise Smoke. Cant wait to try more than a half bowl full...too many things to try on the first night with all my new goodies.
If you could elaborate on some good Red Virginia flakes, I'd appreciate it.
I have been eyeing GLP Gaslight, which I think is a plug, as one of my first selections. Any thoughts yay or nay?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Great red Virginia flakes to me..... h&h anni kake, rattray hal o the wynd and almost everything from McClelland.

Status
Not open for further replies.