PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
Hello, I have tried a few different pipe tobaccos, all of which have been loose/ready rubbed. Just had a look at my favourite tobacco (st Bruno) it's the same price for ready rubbed as it is for flake. Which one lasts longer? What's better value? Which do you prefer?

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Flake, all day long. It's better in every metric.
How so? I hadn't given this much thought until now, so I'd like to hear more about this.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I'm with Ash, in that I prefer the flake St Bruno to the pouch, but I rub my flakes out or cube cut and sprinkle some bits of "tinder" on top. I've also encountered many twigs in the St Bruno pouches, so I just get the flakes and enjoy preparing them to my liking.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
To me, I get more flavor, a longer smoke, easier to handle and fool proof packing.
I've always had bad luck with that approach. I have more experience these days, so maybe I'll give that method another shot.
I rub my flakes out or cube cut and sprinkle some bits of "tinder" on top.
I do the same, but with all my flakes currently.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Personal preference. Every cut has its plusses and minuses. One day its shag, another, flake; another, plug. Rinse and repeat.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some say folded flake tastes better because it burns more slowly, others claim rubbed tastes better because more oxygen is incorporated into the smoke. To me it seems that folded flake is preferred by those who have mastered the art of the pipe. I'm a rubber, myself. :lol:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to cube cut most of the time except when I was smoking outside where I would fold and stuff. Now I fold and stuff everything. I even began folding and stuffing my Samuel Gawith flakes after figuring out how much moisture is needed for it to burn like I want it to. The SG flakes were the last of my cube cut hold outs.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
With St. Bruno, I prefer the RR, it has more flavor from the sauce in my opinion and it’s a lot cheaper than the Flake. Usually I prefer my cuts in this order, Plug, Flake, RR, Ribbon. If anything is available in a Plug I’ll get the plug first and so on.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I smoke a lot of flakes. I usually rub out but will fold and stuff on occasion. Some flakes smoke better folded and some smoke better rubbed.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Plugs are blocks of whole leaf tobacco layered and then pressed, not to be confused with crumble cake, crumble cakes are made from ribbon cut that is pressed, I much prefer plugs. Plugs give you a deep, rich and complex smoke that only that cut can offer. Flakes are simply cut from the plug tobacco. RR is simply just flake tobacco rubbed out, ribbon cut is actually put in a tobacco shreader of sorts, same thing with shag, just a finer cut. Rope is another fine cut that I put up there with plugs. You also have coin and spun cut. Getting to know all of the different cuts and how they smoke and finding out what you prefer is a lot of fun.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Slices of plug tobacco are flakes. Slices of rope tobacco are coins.
Whoops, beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.