Flake Tobacco

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

thebigragu

Aug 31, 2019
I kind of do the same as kurtbob but kind of RIP it smaller first, and I dont crumble it to much, personally I like it not fully crumbled it makes the smok last longer

sandollars

Jul 28, 2019
CA/UT
I roll it into a ball and just keep rolling while reducing pressure until there is no more tobacco in my hands. The rubbed tobacco falls out onto the plate where I let it dry for at least 30 minutes. Pack it using the 3 pinch method only with a little lighter compression and I'm ready to go. It's a bit more work but most flakes, coins and Cakes are worth the effort.

seanv

Preferred Member
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I fold the flake the long way then fold it the short way. I twist it a bit to break it up while it is folded then put it in the pipe rough edge up. The most important thing is to dry it out and have a bit of kindling on the top.

I pull the flakes into strips and just gently stuff the strips into the pipe the last strip or two gets fully rubbed out and placed on top of the bowl. The trick is to when packing the bowl barely tamp, use your finger to do that. Keep in mind the strips will swell so a very loose pack is what is required. The rubbed out portion is easier to get a good even char light. Burns evenly doesn't need a bunch of relights (mostly at the beginning of the bowl.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I bought a Burr style coffee grinder to replace my bladed version a while back. Now, I take a couple flakes and throw them in this Grinder, then I let it dry out for a few minutes. It only takes a couple of pulses. I do the same for plugs and ropes.
That's new, never heard of anyone doing that, pretty cool

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member
Jan 28, 2018
I've seen a few guys use marijuana grinders to grind up flake and plug pipe tobacco. Looked like it worked pretty good, better than I would expect from an electric food grinder, cheaper and easier to clean.