PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
What is your preference and why? With the few flake tobaccos I have smoked, I have always dried it out and rubbed it out. But, I decided just now to go ahead and try the fold and stuff method with some University Flake. So far, not too bad. I also like how simple it is rather than rubbing out the flake and then packing it in.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have been rubbing flakes for a long time now. I get a more a consistently good smoke more often than I did when I used to fold them. It is entirely a personal preference.

Mike S.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never rub out my flakes as for me it defeats the purpose of smoking a flake. I will normally cube cut my flakes or I will fold and stuff. For indoor smoking, cube cut works best for me.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've been smoking a pipe since before the internet proclaimed all these rules and techniques, so I kind of laugh at them. I grab a clump of it and cumple it loosely into the pipe and light up.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
shutterbugg,
I find the grab and stuff method to work most of the time as well. Once in a while I try something new. I do have to say though, that cube cutting flakes have really changed the way I look at packing for certain types of cuts.
Out of everything I've tried, cube cutting flake dramatically increases to flavor and friendliness of most flakes compared to rubbing out or fold and stuff in my experience.
For all other cuts, I just grab and stuff nowadays, although sometimes a fine ribbon cut also requires a bit more finesse.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I do it both ways. Sometimes I feel very ritually oriented and enjoy rubbing it out, other times I just want to smoke it and cram it in.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I tend to fold and stuff thinner flakes like Capstan and cube cut thicker flakes like FVF. I rub them out too. It just depends on which pipe I'm smoking.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I usually fold and stuff. I've found the smoke lasts longer, and has a bigger flavor. I have cube cut some of the thicker flakes when I was in too big a hurry to let it dry enough, like Gawith Navy or St. James. It doesn't diminish the flavor the way rubbing it out does.

Jun 4, 2014
I also prefer to cube cut method when smoking flakes. I've used the fold and stuff method with some success, but I'm still searching the right pipe.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
This cube cutting method, how small of cubes are we talking here? And do you just pack the cubes in with a three pinch method?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A cube is a cube! I.e., the width equals the length, so it depends on how wide the strands of the flake are.
Packing? Lots of ways, but I just stuff and press till it feels right. YMMV.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Just like Nate.I use both methods. Sometimes I take flakes and just wad up and stuff. Find a method you enjoy and use it.who cares what anybody else thinks. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.