PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I have a peterson with a horizontal crack in the bowl. I got this off eBay for under $10.00 with the intentions of trying to restore it. I was planning on trying some super glue to fill the crack on the outside of the bowl, and Pipe cement (see sticky above) inside the bowl.Then refinishing the wood to cover up the repair. Will this work? Are there any other ideas on a fix?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
First take a hammer...oh wait you said repair.
Sounds like a stable attempt i would say try wedging the crack to clean it real good before hand and then after applying the glue find a way to clamp it down to help it hold better. Pipe cement may help but remember it expands and contracts also and it may wind up recracking the repair.
Got any pics?

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I dont have a picture. Ill take a few this evening after work for show and tell. The crack is tight and cant be wedged open but cracked enough that a drop of rum can fins its way through.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Place pipe bowl securly on large block of wood (any type will do). Raise splitting axe far above head, bring it down forcefully on top of pipe bowl. Problem solved.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
The Lorenzo you say?

TADA

GEDC0039.jpg

It was cracked on both sides about 3/4 of the length of the pipe so I spread the cracks just a bit super glued them and used a cat collar to keep tension on it while the glue set. Then I took a thin belt form one of my sanders and recessed a 1/2 inch strip all the way around the pipe. My wife took the pipe down to the fabric store and chose a dcm floss that matched pretty close. I wound it nice and tight and glued the end down. It has been smoking nicely for over a month now and I make sure it has been getting used at least 3 or 4 times a week. Just try not to get any glue inside the bowl or you have to sand it out.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for the advise guys. I cant see your picture. I think my work computer is blocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.