PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Just finished frying up some fresh caught mackerel. Every fisherman and cook alike, that I know, seem to have their own recipe for batter or breading. I'm not big on writing down quantities when it comes to recipes, but here is mine:
Bread crumbs

Seasoned bread crumbs

Flour

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Black pepper

White pepper

Paprika

Oregano

Salt
dip fillets or chunks into egg and milk mixture, coat with breading, drop in deep fryer, drain fried fillets on paper towel or brown paper bag, open wine or beer of choice and munch away!!!
Lets hear the rest of your fishermen and cooks recipe for fish batter of breading.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I almost always make what I call a home made shake and bake in a zip lock bag.proportions are just eye balled but together it makes about a cup or so.
Half flour, half corn starch

One teaspoon salt

Pepper

Just a hint of Italian seasoning,
I use the same thing for chicken livers but replace th Italian seasoning with a lot of paprika and a bit of thyme.
Check out my post for mochiko chicken in the food section. That is a batter with a lot of flavor. Perfect for thy meat.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Coho salmon, salt & pepper, in low broiler. Simple and natural flavor. Don't over cook.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Pride of the West has always done me right.
51U9aTzV6GL.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
qiTw185.jpg

My folks are from Lake of the Woods Minnesota, walleye country. And most people love to mix these two original and cajun, possibly because they have never seen anything spicy before. :rofl:

I fried up a ton of walleyes this summer with it and they were delicious.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. I can't count how many Redfish, Specks, Grouper, Snaper, Goggleye, I've fried in this, seceret is big bowl of mustard drizzled with hot sauce, throw fillets in mixed mixture , then in Louisiana fish fry, make sure grease is 350 deg, don't overload your pan, Tonar ma sa say Bon! :puffy:

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I do enjoy beer battered fish (seasoned flour & an egg mixed to a thin batter with lager) but I usually just split oily fish like herring, brown trout and mackerel open, butterflied, then I dip them in milk once then in medium oatmeal mixed with salt and pepper. The oil (ideally lard or beef dripping) needs to be smoking hot, and the back needs frying first before the flesh side. Herring and mackerel I would usually serve with some mustard also.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Last summer I fried capelin in lard , outdoors in a wok over a flame . No batter just flour , then a little smoked salt .
Capelin are sorta like smelt or grunion , they roll on the beaches in early summer to spawn .
Japanese cuisine values the female roe .

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
That sounds delicious, Bluto. I'd like to try capelin. On the subject of roe, cod roe is a favourite of mine - first cooked in water gently then chilled, sliced, dipped in egg & breadcrumbs and fried in discs.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Golden Dipt used to make something just called Breading Mix that I used for years. That seems to have disappeared, but they have a Fish Fry breading that seems to have a bit more spice to it.
Russ

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Traditional fish stew is something like a Bouillabaisse or cioppino , simply pick over the leftover catch from the day and toss it in a pot shells and all , a little water , wine , maybe herb and boom .. dinner is served ... good with a crusty bread and aioli , a evoo, egg and lemon mayonnaise ..

Status
Not open for further replies.