PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've never tried a true VaPer, and think it's something I should probably look into. I love full-flavored latakia blends, but so far nothing else has really stuck. Any suggestions for a good intro to VaPers?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
McClelland Beacon and Beacon Extra are my favorite VaPers. Extra has more Perique so I would start with plain Beacon.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you could only try one VaPer, try Escudo.
Other good choices, in addition to the one's listed above, are GL Pease Fillmore and Telegraph Hill, and Mac Baren's Acadian Perique.
For a VaPer with a twist, try Haddo's Delight.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Good intro VaPers:

McClelland 2015, Solani 633, & Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

For something stronger:

GL Pease Haddo's Delight or Rattray Hal O' the Wynd

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
drrock:
I would be very surprised indeed if Hal o' the Wynd had any perique in it. I'm extremely sensitive to perique -- in a negative way, unfortunately -- and I've smoked and enjoyed several tins of HotW. As far as I'm aware, it's a straight Virginia.
As for the OP:
Marlin Flake, which has been suggested, is a great blend, but since I can smoke it without problems, I'm guessing there's only the tiniest amount of perique in it. I'm not sure it'll give you VaPer experience you're looking for. I'll second everyone who has mentioned Escudo and Haddo's Delight. Since you're used to full-bodied English blends, you shouldn't be thrown by these at all -- and they're very well done. (I just wish I could appreciate them.)
Bob

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
GL Pease Sextant. It's not a true Va/per but has a touch of lat in it so maybe this could be a transision for you to the rest of the Va/Pers. It is very tasty.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I recommend PS Luxury Navy Flake and Bullseye Flake too. If you cant find the Navy on P&C that's my fault, just bought 3 of the boxes. The Bullseye was out when I got there though so that wasn't me!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Rattrays - Hal O the Wynd

Escudo

Sam Gawith - St James Flake

McClelland - St. James Woods

Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake

Park-Lanes - Red Paramour

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
These are the 4 vapors I keep in stock. I think anyone looking to start with a vaper should go for Escudo first. It is the quintessential vapor in my opinion and gives you a great feel of what vapers are all about.
Escudo

SG St James Flake

Solani 633

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls.

Jul 12, 2011
Also give these blends a try; they might not all be classed as VaPers, but the smoke is damn fine
1. Low Country Tobacco's Waccamaw

2. LJ Peretti's London Flake

3. Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River

4. NYPC Bedloe's Island

5. Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake

6. Cornell & Diehl's Sunday Picnic

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, while I would not recommend Haddo's Delight to a newbie, Escudo is not that strong. Golden sliced has no perique flavor in my opinion, how is someone going to know if they like it or not when you cannot taste it. Let him go for the gusto right off the bat. Escudo was the blend that really opened my eyes to how great pipe tobacco can be.
If you want to start off a little lighter, then the Solani 633 is a great choice, milder in the Perique flavor than Escudo, but you can still taste it. Dorchester is also a good choice because you can taste the perique in that one as well.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
My first vaper war 4noggins Prairie Wind. It came as a sample with a Stanwell i bought from them. It is now smoked about 4 days out of the week. This blend has led me to try various other vapers. I just tried Haddo's Delight by G.L. Pease today. If it continues on the road that it is on Haddo's Delight may become a part of my permanent rotation.

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
Ok guys im starting to learn about tobaccos and i have to ask what are vapers

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
These are not traditional Vapers but are similar and excellent in my opinion
Cornell & Diehl 067: Bayou Morning
Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake #3
Cornell & Diehl Simply Elegant Series: Sunday Picnic