PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Escudo was my first VaPer, and if my memory is right, the only one I've had so far. I like it.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Thanks all for the suggestions, I have a lot to look into! I do happen to like fuller "agressive" (good wording) flavors, so I think I'll throw some Escudo in my next order if it's in stock, perhaps with a few others... Thanks again!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I guess I do like to be overloaded with flavor and smoke more aggressive blends at times. I do have many softer more nuanced flakes in my rotation like Dunhill Flake, F&T Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage, Wessex Gold Virginia Flake for my morning smokes when I am waking up my taste buds. I have a system of going up the strength and flavor ladder as the day progresses.
I have smoked numerous tins of the Orlik GS and honestly got tired of looking for the Perique in it. Now when I smoke it I look at it as just a mild grassy Virginia flake. I will say the last full tin I smoked( couple of months ago) was 17 years old and it was a lot tastier. I have one of those left and plan on opening it when it hits 20. I recently bought a couple of fresh tins and smoked a bowl of fresh stuff and I immediately put it away to age. The grassiness was over powering to my taste and I much prefer a fresh tin of Dunhill Flake or Wessex Gold Virginia over it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I understand completely where you are coming from. When I first began smoking a pipe, I was smoking 6 cigars a day so I needed stronger blends just to be able to taste anything. It is one of the reasons Escudo and Haddo's Delight tasted so good to me in the beginning. I do forget that many new pipe smokers have never smoked anything unlike myself who smoked cigars for over 20 years and cigarettes for even longer when I began.
I do believe that the new pipe smokers who are trying to quit cigarettes can smoke the stronger blends in the beginning, their taste buds can be pretty fried and they are used to nicotine, so they will need fuller blends to help them get past their nails.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Cigrmaster, I went to the local B&M and came away with a tin of Escudo and Dunhill flake that you recommended. So far, after just two bowls, I believe that I found what was missing with pipe smoking. Haven't smoked the Dunhill yet but, the Escudo is excellent, smooth and tasty. Will open the Dunhill later this week and compare notes on the two. Thanks for the recommendations.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mthanded, that is awesome, I am so glad you enjoyed it. It has always been one of my favorites and I will never be without it. Hopefully you will enjoy the Dunhill flake as well. I smoke that quite a bit for my first or second smoke of the day. It really goes nicely with a cup of good coffee. Please let me know your thoughts on the Dunhill after you have tasted it.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Cigrmaster, you are so right in your comments about cigarettes smokers seeking stronger pipe tobacco blends. That was me. Ironically, as I leave cigarettes behind, I am going in the reverse direction: seeking more nuanced pipe tobacco blends as my taste buds slowly recover and I can appreciate subtler blends. I'm also finding more interesting flavors in blends (like Haddo's) that I was initially drawn to based on strength alone. I wonder if others in the same position have experienced the same.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Lads, I pretty much agree.
I think that Escudo and St. James Flake are the pinnacle of the Virginia Perique blend.
That's not to say that there aren't other perfectly good representatives out there, but when you get these blends in the right pipe at the right moisture at the right time - they are truly amazing and cannot be beaten. Keep in mind that I have had indifferent smokes with them as well, but I place the blame with my own personal chemistry or substandard packing or some other form of human error when that occurs!

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
VaPers are one of my favourite blends, there are many I still need to try, particularly St.James flake, only heard good things!
As with others above I highly recommend Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls, great quality tobacco and very smooth smoke. Although I've never tried any of the other Esoterica blends, I have had a tin of Dunbar, that was a lovely VaPer blend, so can recommend that too!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sothron, glad to hear your taste buds are coming back to a more normal state. You must be having a blast now experimenting with all kinds of blends now that you can taste again.

Status
Not open for further replies.