6 Fresh Ardor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tarak

Preferred Member
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Just coming off a 3 week stretch of being sick. Haven't smoked the whole time. Decided to take the dog for a quick walk and thought "Oh heck, its my only chance to smoke a pipe tonight".
So, I grabbed the closest thing I have to a beater- an old Dr. Grabow that I sanded and re-stained, and packed up something quick and easy- FMC, and hit the sidewalk with the dog. Very windy, maybe 50 degrees, dark, and quiet. A few things I learned:
1. My dog does not stop for lighting or tamping. So selfish.

2. When I found Virginia Flakes, I found my place. As great as some of these Lat blends are- man give me my McC Flakes.

3. Wind made the experience unenjoyable. Flying embers, no discernible satisfying smoke, and hardly any flavor. When I turned around out of the wind, I could suddenly taste the pipe again. And ahhhhhh....the smoke!

4. I forgot how much quicker ribbon cuts smoke vs. flakes.

5. I feel mature and distinguished smoking a pipe. Concurrently picking up dog doo negates that feeling.

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
Gotta top the old hand-warmer with a wind screen. They're cheap and help keep the tobacco from burning too hot and damaging the bowl. Get a couple as they are easily misplaced.

papipeguy

Preferred Member
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yep, wind screens are only a buck or two and are a worthy investment. For that money you will save a pipe in the wind. I always carry 2 in my bag, just in case.