PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingghost

Lurker
Sep 9, 2014
so the other day i was trying to roll a cigarette and my dad goes in his room and brings out an old CPF pipe. the stem doesnt look very good but the bowl is in great condition. i was wondering if anyone could date this pipe at all or maybe give an estimate of value. he paid $5 at a thrift store when he was 17. the more information i try to find, the more rare it seems. i know its old. cant find another like it. its my first tobacco pipe and it smokes very well. cant get pictures for some reason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. coalsmoke's info is very good. You might think of CPF as the earliest Kaywoodie. Frankly, if it was mine I would have it professionally restored as it's a great piece of history. There are Kaywoodie experts on here and hopefully they'll chime in.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Just saw this. Knowing what the stem material is as well as what the stamps are would tell me something. Does it have a case? They stop making CPF pipes around 1920. I have, and have had a number of them. Condition determines value to a great degree for a CPF.

There are a number of pipes on eBay that are listed over and over because the the condition doesn't justify the price.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Don't want to hijack this thread, but it appears the OP is long gone..........

I have a neat little C.P.F. Its housed in a case, and remains unsmoked. The seller claimed the receipt was still in the bowl. Well, it wasn't a receipt per se, but a declaration that the stem was real genuine amber. Whats KEY here to me is that it lists 1851 as the date CPF was established........not a lot of info on this marquee, and no, I am NOT going to smoke it!!

Its got some of the finest, tightest grain I've ever seen--- I've heard this called "angel hair grain"

As expected, bone tenon........

Its a bout 5-3/8" long.......

Its a neat little piece of history, not sure of the age. Any thoughts xrundog?? I wish it had some silver adornments, its rather a plain jane.......

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I'm amazed there are no chips on the stem. That one fits the definition of "pristine". The case is great too. That one must have been carefully put away right after it was bought.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a piece of history. Out of bounds for smoking, I agree. Pristine condition.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Wow. Beautiful pipe. No need for contrast staining on that bowl. What a treasure. Perfect case of less is more.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If you really want to set the stem off, sand the pipe down with 400 grit paper and refinish it with a much lighter stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.