PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I was in a local B&M checking out an Estate Falcon and picked up a tin of Drew Estate Central Park Stroll. My personal stock is overflowing with English, Danish, VaPers, etc. and thought I'd give this one a few bowls. So, I brought home my purchases and cranked out a Falcon bowl I reserve for Aero's and tried it out.
First impression... Very damp, nice cut, jet black, and packed like a compressed brick in the tin. The heavy vanilla/carmel/chocolate notes DE talks about are certainly present, in force. But, I set out a couple bowls worth to air out and after an hour or two I fired up my new Falcon with it.... Not bad! Certainly not as crazed as I had thought it might be... Turns out, it is every bit as crazed as I thought a DE would be. But, more about that in a couple sentences.
Stays lit well, good volume of smoke, cool and dry out of my new Falcon and the humidome wasn't completely full after the bowl like I thought it would be. The room note is amazing, but, a tasty mild smoke that isn't as powerful as the room note....
Then, I finished the bowl. The progression thru the bowl wasn't anything you wouldn't expect. Stays lit, same room note thruout, good smoke that got mildly stronger as you went. Then, after the first bowl I did some real work and when I sat down to dinner it hit me....
I'm still "tasting" this and smelling it an hour later! And after a bowl of Condor after dinner I'm still tasting/smelling it... And this morning I'm still smelling it. And, as I write this review, I'm still smelling it. Strongly. It's like it's never gonna go away.
Did I enjoy it? Yes, it was a decent smoke. Was it outstanding? No, but, it was good. Would you buy it again? Yes, but not because I'm ever gonna have a bowl of it again.
I'm gonna dump the whole tin in with a bulk barley virginia mix I think needs more flavor, and mellow this thing out while punching up that barley/virginia bulk that is basically flavorless. I think it'll be good.
But, unless your a complete Aero smoker that likes your sinuses to be spray painted with flavorings, I wouldn't suggest Central Park Stroll.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I wouldn't suggest Central Park Stroll.
Thanks for the review. I toyed with the idea of ordering this, but I think I'll save my $$$ for something I really enjoy. :puffpipe:

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Carter Hall's second purpose in life: Getting an over the top aromatic under control,improving the smoking experience.
I prefer a simple Virginia but your choice suits you, I am sure. Right now I use the Newminster Virginia and really like it over some others I have used. It isn't as much reds as others.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Good to know... Thanks for the post, I was curious about these when P&C sent me an emailer. I thought I might give 7th Ave Blonde a try but it sounds like they all might be this overpowering. Let us know if it manages to mellow out some.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Sounds like something that could use some McClelland 5100 to mellow it down a bit. That's my go to for overly strong aromatics.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I just finished a bowl where I mixed up 80% Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match with 20% Central Park Stroll...
It could be time for me to mix it all and let it age a few months. The mix was dead on good (w/o the lasting nasal effect that a bowl of Stroll by itself delivers).

Status
Not open for further replies.