PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
the cyber monday was good to me. got peterson sh milverton with p-lip. only had a chance for a bowl so far. it was a different experience from fishtail. i think i like p-lip. it definitely help with tongue. draw was free, but using the diaphragm to pull seems to work better. much easier to sip. will have to use the pipe more to see how it works out in the long run. might need another pipe with p-lip to compare.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy my one P-lip, a Killarney Rhodesian 999. It's more bit in your mouth, and the intake is repositioned. I find it a little distracting, too much bit, but pleasant enough. I wouldn't order another. Fishtails seem almost undetectable to me, in a good way.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm a huge fan...if I could convert every pipe I own to a p-lip, I would. they are perfect for my clenching style and smoking style.
YMMV

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have about 7 seven pipes with P-lip and I have one pipe that is a Glokar (BBB's answer to a P-lip. I like them. I'm actually indifferent as to smoking them. I just grab one and puff.

Aug 14, 2012
It directs the smoke to the roof of your mouth instead of your tongue. Both can be irritable if you smoke a lot, so it is best to smoke some of each.

kiltedpiper

Lurker
Dec 6, 2018
Honestly, I've never had a problem with my p-lip pipe. Its nice for variety and very comfortable, but I have yet to notice any kind of difference in flavor, though as Cosmic and Foggymountain have stated, I have managed to scorch the roof of my mouth a few times.
so as Foggymountain said, means you need to alternate, which means more pipes!

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
One of my first pipes was a p-lip. Stupid me didn’t realize the draft hole was on top of the bit. Never have been much of a clencher (except my cobs) so I was unknowingly blocking the hole with my top lip.
Once I realized what I was doing wrong, I got used to it and now really like the p-lip. Looking hard at a Silver Army Mount in the p-lip.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I have a few P-lips and like them. They hang easily and I do not find the draft hole on top to burn the roof of my mouth. I have no issue, except it can be difficult to thread a pipe cleaner through. But once I figured out how to do that no issue.
But invariably when selecting a pipe for my next smoke I select a fishtail. I have no problem with a P-lip I just naturally prefer a fishtail bit. They are a interesting change up.
YMMV.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have no issue, except it can be difficult to thread a pipe cleaner through. But once I figured out how to do that no issue.

How do you thread a pipe cleaner thru a P-Lip stem? That is why I never bought a pipe with a P-Lip stem.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
P-lip with the system is how its meant to be, when I have the opportunity to choose I will go p-lip every time. Now the kicker is they have been not doing p-lips right in the past 10 years or so -the stems have gotten fatter, this was pointed out to Laudisi recently and from what I understand they are going to be making a change.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm definitely a fan, but only of the vulcanite stems. I love them for a change of pace. At a club-type event, where I'll be smoking all day, I definitely pack one or two for use later in the day (like tomorrow, at the Boswells event).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i was smoking plip again yesterday. i really like it. one thing i noticed was that i don't get any one spot in the mouth that gets concentrated smoke. guess my mouth roof isn't all that sensitive. it was like getting smoke without really getting smoke. today, used fishtail. fishtail was definitely more harsh to me. but i can see they both have pro and con. with fishtail, i felt i had more control of where and how strong i was pulling. with plip, it was very mellow and didn't have one focued area getting smoke, but felt like i didn't have much control as to where i'm pointing the draft hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.