PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
What an amazing English Blend! Up until now I had only tried bulk english blends, which have always been my favorite. Margate being my first Tin elnglish just raised the bar well beyond the reach of my bulk english blends.

The latakia is very prevalent in the tin, and I expected the flavor of it to be overwhelming, but it was so subtle that I was shocked. I haven't much experiance with Orientals, but whatever orientals they blended were fantastic. It is a well balanced, rubust, and satisfying smoke that burned slow, and cool. Smoking out of my antique comoy bulldog my smoke lasted just over 30 minites! Which is quite impressive, my bulk english blends will burn through that pipe in about 10. Every puff was heaven. I suspect my bulk english blends will find them selves quite neglected in the weeks to come.

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah its good shit. If you put a gun to my head I’d probably take it over penzance.

i love the way it burns tightly packed, an effortless smooth smoke. Great in cutties and clays. And anything else.

Tin vs bulk has little to do with it, its just straight up good. Have you tried the Smoker’s Haven blends? Our best blend in particular. Pricey but great. If you’re into margate you’ll like them. And about a billion other tin options, haha.

Bulk wise, I think Arango Balkan Supreme stacks up well against damn near any english you can find in a tin. Boswell’s northwoods also kicks ass. Might be my favorite tin/bag note ever. So smokey. I also like stokkebye ps17 luxury english.

Last edited:

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
I have a few tins, gonna have to pop one open.
Have you tried it yet? If not let me know what you think here on this thread. I'd be interested to have other opinions. More experienced smokers might notice things I didn't. Being quite new I find it difficult to review as my knowledge is so limited.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
Have you tried it yet? If not let me know what you think here on this thread. I'd be interested to have other opinions. More experienced smokers might notice things I didn't. Being quite new I find it difficult to review as my knowledge is so limited.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've only been at this about a year. I haven't tried it yet but after reading your review, I'll probably be opening a tin soon.

zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Did someone say ”Margate”?

The town's history is tied closely to the sea and it has a proud maritime tradition. Margate was a "limb" of Dover in the ancient confederation of the Cinque ports. It was added to the confederation in the 15th century. Margate has been a leading seaside resort for at least 250 years. Like its neighbour Ramsgate, it has been a traditional holiday destination for Londoners drawn to its sandy beaches. Margate had a Victorian jetty which was largely destroyed by a storm in 1978.
Like Brighton and Southend, Margate was infamous for gang violence between mods and rockers in the 1960s, and mods and skinheads in the 1980s.

Another Esoterica blend for the US named after a seaside town. Only one Esoterica is not named for a town near the sea...

I lost my sponsorship with Coors Light once they found out I was partaking of Banquet. Those Swans are the real deal. Margate is a most approachable Germain offering. Delightful after an afternoon of burning leaves. Best enjoyed with Pumpkins and Swans and Coors...although last night it paired pretty well with Australian red wine aged in Rum barrels.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Margate is as good as it gets when it comes to English blends. I do prefer it to Penzance. It is has a smoothness and elegance that is tough to beat. I have cellared pounds of it and it gets even better with age. The Smoker’s Haven blends Our Best Blend and Exotique Mixture are fantastic variations of this blend and just as good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Margate is as good as it gets when it comes to English blends. I do prefer it to Penzance. It is has a smoothness and elegance that is tough to beat. I have cellared pounds of it and it gets even better with age. The Smoker’s Haven blends Our Best Blend and Exotique Mixture are fantastic variations of this blend and just as good.
Balkan Supreme and Peretti's Oriental blends completely stole Esoterica's and Smoker's Haven's thunder for me.

Reactions: soviettubes

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Yeah its good shit. If you put a gun to my head I’d probably take it over penzance.

i love the way it burns tightly packed, an effortless smooth smoke. Great in cutties and clays. And anything else.

Tin vs bulk has little to do with it, its just straight up good. Have you tried the Smoker’s Haven blends? Our best blend in particular. Pricey but great. If you’re into margate you’ll like them. And about a billion other tin options, haha.

Bulk wise, I think Arango Balkan Supreme stacks up well against damn near any english you can find in a tin. Boswell’s northwoods also kicks ass. Might be my favorite tin/bag note ever. So smokey. I also like stokkebye ps17 luxury english.

Good call. Exotique Mixture from Smokers Haven is pretty much like Margate with a little more Latakia, IMHO. It is a superb blend.

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
That's right. Balkan Supreme is oriental forward while Proper English is Latakia forward.?
both good!

Status
Not open for further replies.