PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtom447

Lurker
Sep 15, 2019
I was inspired by this thread to order and ty some in bulk. For me this blend benefited by many repeated uses. First ty was ok to not bad, but but day 3 it was really hoping mming along.

Also like that this one is available in bulk so it's nice on the pocket book.
I always let my new orders sit for a week

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I always let my new orders sit for a week

Most C&D Burley blends I've gotten benefit greatly from a couple months in the jar. I'm now smoking through a yummy jar of HB that was practically unsmokable six months ago. Pegasus tops the C&D Burley heap for me. It's one of three blends I can stick in my pocket when walking out the door for the day and be perfectly content smoking only that until I get back to my stash o jars. I smoke it in cobs almost exclusively - it's not near as tasty in a briar for me.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
Haunted Bookshop just keeps coming up. Ive seen it more than once on threads here and on reviews at smokingpipes. Great review, my curiosity is piqued. I'll have to order me a tin next payday.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Dtom447

Lurker
Sep 15, 2019
Most C&D Burley blends I've gotten benefit greatly from a couple months in the jar. I'm now smoking through a yummy jar of HB that was practically unsmokable six months ago. Pegasus tops the C&D Burley heap for me. It's one of three blends I can stick in my pocket when walking out the door for the day and be perfectly content smoking only that until I get back to my stash o jars. I smoke it in cobs almost exclusively - it's not near as tasty in a briar for me.
Interesting bc I didn’t like the way Pegasus tasted in a cob. Another reason why pipes are fun, different experience for everyone

Reactions: trubka2

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I found HB a nice blend but a bit lacking for me. oJK on the other hand may have spoiled me as I love it.

Dtom447

Lurker
Sep 15, 2019
I wanted to wait a few days/smokes to post this as I actually bought two tins of ojk the same day you made a comment. After smoking it a few times through a few different pipes I still must say I prefer HB. I will say I like ojk more than three friars

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I found HB a nice blend but a bit lacking for me. oJK on the other hand may have spoiled me as I love it.
Years back I smoked it for a while. But, ultimately I found it lacking as well, a bit on the bland, monochromatic side for me.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I've smoked HB quite often recently.
At first I wasn't very impressed but now after a year in the cellar it seems the blend have evolved.
It might be the season as well. The dry, nutty burley taste real good in this chilly crisp air.

The review is great.

Last edited:

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I've heard great things about HB but I can just never find it at local BnMs so I might have to jump on an online order. Great Review otherwise

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Solid review, and I agree with the details & nuance. Sometimes I’ll add a pinch of red va (5100) or Prince Albert to a bowlfull of Haunted Bookshop, depending on how my taste buds are running. The PA adds a chocolate nutty flavor, where as the red va feeds my sweet tooth craving.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I tried Billy Budd Blonde about 6 months before HB and the two feel and taste similar. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I have had them back to back, and definitely find them similar, but I prefer the Billy Budd Blonde. I feel the cigar leaf kind of rounds it out and adds a nice creaminess to the smoke, along with a little extra depth to the flavor. I wasn't overly impressed by HB, but I'm not a hardcore burley fan, so it's natural it would be lost on me.

Reactions: danimalia

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The problem of being a new piper is that I can’t trust my experiences from a few months ago. I found Haunted Bookshop harsh then.

But recently I’ve taken to burley flakes and enjoy them quite a bit, so I should probably dig out my jar and give it another shot. Maybe I’ll figure out if I just didn’t smoke it properly, or if maybe the perique got to me.

Reactions: fightnhampster

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I ordered a few tins of this because I tried a house blend at a B&M that is a VaPer with a bit of burley and I really enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll enjoy this. Reviews that I read seem mixed, as usual. But sounds good to me.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
The 1st time I tried it, I thought it tasted like a cigarette, so I closed it up and never opened it again.
Ironically I thought the same thing about Elizabethan Mixture the 1st time I tried it, but now it's a staple blend for me.
Maybe I should give it another go.

Reactions: diamondback

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I wonder if it didn't have a cool name (Haunted Bookshop) would it be nearly so popular. Like if they would've named it Burley Mixture #8 or something, would we even be talking about it? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.