PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
A few months ago I wouldn't have considered getting an estate pipe.
Now I start a new year with a great new pipe and, with your help and advice, I was able to put it in perfect smoking and aesthetical condition in no time.
Today I deeply enjoy finding old and newer estates and bringing them back to life, either restoring them (still slowly learning) or just giving them a thorough cleaning before putting them to good use.
This one is a Castello Old Antiquari KK Apple. It is not marked with a shape number, but from what I could find online it's a 23. Am I right? It is maked Kino, so presumably it is from after 2007?

Any comments on the shape and dating would be very welcome!
What do you think?
Cheers,
J
4_zpsnacsao4s.jpg

1_zpsbzzanfp2.jpg

3_zpsfnlcwvxr.jpg

2_zps9hhmeben.jpg

7_zps0k5onyxw.jpg

5_zps3j3qjsh1.jpg

6_zpsevkzfcqb.jpg

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo bun
Not to be repetitive, that is indeed a beauty. Looks like a perfect size too - many Italian pipes, including Castellos, are just too big for my attention span. Funny that I thought my old Sea Rock was marked "Kimo" - guess I need to do some research vs. "Kino". Yes - it is true that my Sea Rocks puff better than my C Trademarks, Collections and alphabetized smooths. Dunno how the blasts fit into that equation.
hp

les

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Nice pipe. By going estate and restoring, you are saving money, recycling valuable briar and bringing beauty into the wold.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Thank you very much for your comments guys!
@Gloucesterman, Thanks Dutch! The pipe was almost new. Some very minor rim charring and a couple of very shallow dents on the stem. I corrected those, rimmed it and gave it the alcohol treatment. About half an hour of elbow grease. That's about it.
@Jpmcwjr, As the pipe was almost pristine, I didn't take any before pics. I didn't do much to put it back in working order. Thanks for your kind words on my photography!
@Lestrout, It is a very nice size and a lovely shape, isn't it? I like smaller pipes too. For reference the size is very similar to my Peterson Army 103. Walls are thicker on the Castello and it is about 3/4" shorter, but I would put it in the same size class.
Cheers,
J

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Love the contrasting colors! A Castello is on my list entitled "Things I Really Should Have, But For Some Reason Don't", near the top as a matter of fact, right under Bugatti Veyron and McLaren P5 :) very nice score! You really do have very fine taste, which is to say, it alligns well with mine ;)

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
@SSJones, it was almost new. Took just half an hour to leave it looking like that. And you are right about the size. It is just perfect.
@Nate, thanks for your comments! I have an estate McLaren F1 in my must have list, but don't think it is going to happen any time soon. Thanks god I already took care of the Castello part. Life is all about priorities.
Cheers,
J

Status
Not open for further replies.