First draw on air flow check

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

larry127

Mar 12, 2016
Hi there,
I always get some tobacco in to my mouth whenever I did my air flow check before I do the charring light..sometimes the tobacco even went straight to my throat.. Is there any harm if I ate some of the tobacco?

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member
Jan 8, 2013
You may be growing burley in your belly. Stop what you are doing, send me all of your tobacco, and go see a doctor. :)

pipestud

Preferred Member
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
No harm will be done, Larry. It's also a scientific fact (I'm sure because I read it on the Internet), that eating a spoonful of pipe tobacco everyday will keep you regular).
A suggestion - next time before you load and light, blow out instead of suck in when you test the air hole. :wink:

robwoodall

Apr 29, 2015
blow out instead of suck in when you test the air hole.
Well, dang, PipeStud.
I have the same issue as the original poster, and that never occurred to me. Sometimes the best advice makes me feel that I should have already known it.
Thanks!

prairiedruid

Preferred Member
Jun 30, 2015
That spoonful of tobacco that pipestud recommends will also act as a dewormer for you!

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
A slight shake of the can, jar, bag will bring larger pieces to the top. Use the big ones to put at the bottom as you start to fill. But pipe stud's advice is good no matter how you fill.