PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Contrary to some transplants' complaints, central North Carolina really does have distinct seasons, although not as extreme as further north. We have fall colors in great array, though later than the north. We have comparatively cold weather (Alaskans laugh and boo here) and stretches of snow and ice, but over days, not months. Spring is pretty spectacular, almost psychedelic, explosions of blossoms and pollen. And summer, we got summer. I like Autumn a lot, with summer days and fall days and a few chilly ones in the process.

Reactions: luigi

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
All my wood for this year was split and stacked last fall. I'll need to chop wood soon too, but it will be for burning next year puf

In truth, a one-year seasoning period is essential in my case because I have one of the more recent high efficiency wood stoves, which are inherently finnicky about moisture content of the wood. I still have a lot of appreciation for the old "smoke dragons" that can burn just about anything you put into them, although they will lose significantly more heat up the chimney than a newer high efficiency stove.
Nice catch. Mine are from 2 years ago, they have been drying, but now it's time to chop them in smaller pieces and store it under the roof.
You're right, the moisture level is very important. The fresh tobacco won't burn so easily, so doesn't the wood. Been using an "old dragon" for 6 years, renewed it last year and the wood consumption has reduced for 50%. Unfortunately the wood doesn't age so well as tobacco does. :D

Reactions: lawdawg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I love fall! It's my favorite time of year. I always feel extra thankful for a life filled with blessings. I love driving with the top down, feeling the start of the chill, walking through the country and watching the good Lord paint the landscape in a myriad of colors. Soon, I'll crack the Penzance and enjoy it as the sun goes down.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I live in a very mild climate, and I miss Winter fires made of wood I have cut and stacked myself. Now I am a bit creaky and maybe stacking wood is too strenuous. But the house I am in has no wood burning fireplace at all. (It has two gas fired ones, nice, but not the real McCoy). All in all, I have zero to complain about, though.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Fall is my favorite time of year. Iam sick and tired of the 80-90 degree days. Although i do hate winter.

Dan

I think a lot of us feel similar. Early summer is probably my favorite time of year, but by mid August I am ready for temps to cool down. I really like experiencing all of the seasons, although I'm usually done with winter sometime in January puf

I live in a very mild climate, and I miss Winter fires made of wood I have cut and stacked myself. Now I am a bit creaky and maybe stacking wood is too strenuous. But the house I am in has no wood burning fireplace at all. (It has two gas fired ones, nice, but not the real McCoy). All in all, I have zero to complain about, though.

Bucking logs with a chainsaw, moving the rounds, and repeatedly swinging a heavy maul (especially when swinging hard at rounds that don't want to split) is very hard work, not to mention all the stooping down to pick up and stack the wood. I cut, split, and stack a little bit of my firewood when I can get a desirable species of hardwood for free, but I just buy the majority of it for around $50 a rick on craigslist. After spending a couple hours splitting and stacking a rick, paying someone else $50 for some already cut and split wood feels like a steal.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I’ve been so busy that I didn’t take note of the calendar yesterday. Fall is definitely in the air however. - -

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Still in the upper 90’s here in Middle TN. When I seal up my cigars here in a couple weeks, I’m thinking my first bowl will be Pirate Kake. I’ve been thinking about that blend of late.

Reactions: oldtoby
Status
Not open for further replies.