PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I've just gone over to "the dark side" with a purchase of a new MM Country Gentleman. :)
Looking forward to my first bowl sometime this weekend.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I have a dagner poker cob, I smoked it once but I don't really want to smoke it again. It adds a weird taste to the smoke. Not my cup of tea. I stay at briar and meerschaum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a counterpoint, I'm a long-time fan of MM cobs. Any corny taste (which I admit I don't notice) is gone after a smoke or three. They're light weight, easy to keep lit, and just generally user friendly. I like the Dagner and Charles Towne version for the acrylic stems, and I have supplied my regular cobs with Forever acrylic stems, just to save replacing stems I'd otherwise chew up. For me, MM cobs are permanent pipes and easy smokers. Love 'em.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
They’ Good, stress free smokers. Enjoying the heck out of the Cobbit series.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not a cob fan. Steer away from the Eaton and its smooth finish sibling. PITA to clean.
The one you acquired should be OK if your finger goes all the way down.

May 11, 2019
The Cob is a wonderful smoking pipe. Some things to note about "break in" I guess we'll call it since there isn't much of one to these pipes and a simple fact or two.

1. Varnished "shinny" cobs some times need a piece of sandpaper run on the inside of bowl to rid the funky taste. It can be smoked out with a few smokes.

2. This is an opinion but one shared by many cobbers.

Cobs with a "natural" or "neked"(as per Aristocob) finish smoke cooler and let the tobacco speak to you.

3. Nobody has cussed a blue streak if something happened to their $5-$10 cob. A $150 Peterson on the other hand...

4. I'm a Missouri Meerschaum man through and through. My favorite pipes period but if you like nostalgia then do yourself a favor and get an Old Dominion cob. Nice smokers and they are made with a reed instead of a plastic mouth piece. Makes you feel a little like you're smokin with Mark Twain.

5. Cob snobs and briars snobs both miss out on smoking some good pipes. I smoke cobs 90% of the time but I do love my briars.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
...and you can make them look a little better by staining them...

3a2ZY9zl.jpg

IlMkzivl.jpg

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
I have one cob. Ilt has definitely grown in me. It took me about 8-10 smokes to break in. It still gives a favor to the tobacco but so does briar, and the flavor of chared cob goes really well with the flavor of straight tobacco.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
I’m a fan, especially for travel. Forever stems and they are lifelong pipes.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have a 24 pipe rack of nothing but MM Cob pipes that I reach for a lot. I am a Meer smoker 80% of the time,cobs 15% briars the rest. Nothing but great things to say about my MM Cobs!...
uecvRxm.jpg

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Cobs are great, I probably smoke them about 80% of the time, and have made a bunch of them myself from corn I dried at home. They are especially great for OTC type burley blends and also good for the goopier aromatics as they are so absorbent.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Thanks all for the vital cob info, pictures and perspectives! Im sure I will enjoy it. I definitely like the light weight of this pipe.

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
Count me in, I love the cob. I purchased one a while back and the collection is growing. I just like the way a cob feels light and somehow burns so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.