PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Oh, nice, I have the little Tsuge drew estate tamper which btw is a lot smaller than I imagined it would be. Those tsuge items come and go, I wouldn't be surprised if they never came back in stock. At least I won't accidentally poke my eye out..

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I found the array of flavors in a cigar every bit as tantalizing as pipe tobacco. But I loved smoking from a pipe more. Cost was also a big factor.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Weezell- If you can find it, try getting a Donna Flor Robusto. It's a Brazilian leaf cigar that is favourably reviewed. It was made by the guy who started the most famous brands of Cuban cigars after he fled Cuba when the dictatorship came along. They also make the Alfonso Menendez brand, which is also good, but Donna Flor *Robusto* takes the cake.
My go to brand is Bolivar and to my tastes, have never found a better cigar than the Royal Corona. I've tried Cohibas and many of the other very expensive makes over the years, but I've stopped and just pick up one of those Bolivars when I feel the need. They have an intense full flavour that I can't get enough of.
And, smoking a pipe, I found that dropping it into a meerschaum when the fingers get toasty keeps it going for another 20 minutes or more. Flavour changes some, but the sentiment is there. I suppose it may be seen as uncouth in some circles, but why waste good tobacco?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's been years for me. For the money, I'd always buy another tin or some bulk for the pipe. But when I smoked cigars, Dominicans always were most appealing, for whatever price. I'm sure Cubans can be excellent, but the ones I had were just okay, in Toronto on business. Good cigars seem to start at about the price of moderately priced tin of premium pipe tobacco which gives you about twenty bowls. I always feel I have a little more control, can mix my own "blends," and know the ground better. But cigars are a special occasion treat, to play tycoon for forty minutes. College kids at the horse track love to buy big cigars -- they've seen the old movies. A good cigar is a really pleasing offering from a host, but so few smoke today, it would be often refused.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Punch Oscuros and El Rey Del Mundo Oscuros are my absolute favourites.
Oscuros are a delight!Donna Flor Robusto, will have to find one of those. I like JR Ultimate Oscuros to...

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I still enjoy my cigars. I have a full cabinet humidor full of cigars and since I switched to pipe smoking the added benefit is they are now well aged and smoke great.
I'm in the same boat. I don't consider them neglected.....just ageing. I don't even want to think about how much money is just sitting there because I switched smoking preferences lol.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I'm in the same boat. I don't consider them neglected.....just ageing. I don't even want to think about how much money is just sitting there because I switched smoking preferences lol.

Same here! Wonderful quote.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I tend to prefer cigar smoking for specific purposes, such as after a meal or with a glass of whisky. I agree with posters above that I can't help that I just prefer pipes, however I found I can help things by using cigar mouthpieces and cheroot holders. It makes all the difference in providing a pipe-like experience, and I can clench without biting my cigar. My favourite cigars as a pipe smoker would definitely be Italian cigars, specifically Toscanos made with kentucky leaf. They have a flavour profile much closer to what I am used to, and they are quite inexpensive

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
I'm partial to Southern Draw when i want cigars for a no-fuss kind of smoke. I played too much Metal Gear and started off with Backwoods(not bad for a gas station cigar). I've got 4 Gurkha Ghosts I'm savung for me and some of the guys olwhen this pump is over, but if I feel like inviting another guy, i might just grab my best briar and some Frog Morton for myself.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I was a cigar aficcionado and quit it for some time.
Smoked one of these a couple days ago. One of Brazil's best.
Dannemann Artist Line Robusto. Mine was the Santo Antônio version.

L1150081-681x1024.jpg

The problem is that this is very expensive for my budget (costed me the equivalent of $10), although very cheap for one of the best national cigars.
I'm turning to pipes because it's cooler and because of the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.