PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Hi, Up till now I've been smoking pipes made either from Pearwood, Ebony (& one other from some unknown wood) but delivery is en-route with my first Briar pipe (nothing magically expensive but italian made)

What differences can I expect to experience?

Thanks

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Some folks swear by 'breaking in' a new briar pipe to get rid of some of its harshness. I've never found that a new pipe smokes rougher than my estates however.

I'm guessing there is the same amount of cleaning and maintainence to a briar than to other wood pipes, so you should be familiar with that.

Purchasing a new pipe may just trigger PAD as well!

Reactions: diamondback

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Some folks swear by 'breaking in' a new briar pipe to get rid of some of its harshness. I've never found that a new pipe smokes rougher than my estates however.

I'm guessing there is the same amount of cleaning and maintainence to a briar than to other wood pipes, so you should be familiar with that.

Purchasing a new pipe may just trigger PAD as well!

Well delivery is due in 117minutes (there's actually two coming) so I'll be trying one out in about 119 minutes...

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
My first pipes were cobs and pearwood. When I got my first briar, I noticed as acidpox said, it burned cooler. Other than that, I didn't notice too much difference except I felt way cooler.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried those alternate woods. I don't think you will notice much difference. Briar lasts better than most other materials, as others noted burns a little cooler than some, and I think looks a bit more traditional and to me handsome. It's just one pipe, so could disappoint or be magnificent. Give it a chance. I think you'll like it.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Well, it’s been a day and a half since the briar was delivered. What were your expectations, and were they met?

Tried to reply yesterday but the site had an error
Seems to work when I reply to a post though

Well for two pipes each priced around 50 dollar mark in a little disappointed in the build quality and can easily see why folks would pay two or three times that to get a better grade pipe
Next buy will be a savanelli for Xmas I think

So far the briar really hasn't made a whole lot of notable difference from my other pipes from the smoke itself
Also got some other tobaccos through and tried the Davidoff Scottish mix which I enjoyed

So overall its nice to have another couple of pipes to rotate but now looking forward to ordering a Sav Oscar tiger 626 but I'll have to be patient until relies next visit

Last edited:

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Tried to reply yesterday but the site had an error
Seems to work when I reply to a post though

Well for two pipes each priced around 50 dollar mark in a little disappointed in the build quality and can easily see why folks would pay two or three times that to get a better grade pipe
Next buy will be a savanelli for Xmas I think

So far the briar really hasn't made a whole lot of notable difference from my other pipes from the smoke itself
Also got some other tobaccos through and tried the Davidoff Scottish mix which I enjoyed

So overall its nice to have another couple of pipes to rotate but now looking forward to ordering a Sav Oscar tiger 626 but I'll have to be patient until relies next visit

The struggle is real. PAD!

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Edwards pipes are consistently outstanding in my opinion. They are estate pipes, of course (out of business for some time). Not everyone is comfortable with that. However, Edwards is almost always made with Algerian Briar, can be had for $20-40 (EBeast). I would highly recommend trying one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.