PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So much to my suprise, I found a 100g tin of ODF at my local B&M this evening. After all the good things I have heard, I had to try it. So, steep price be damned, I bought it.
I couldn't wait, so I cracked the tin in the parking lot to take a smell. Very nice, rich and kinda spicy. Being that it is my first encounter with flake tobacco, I had to search the site for prepping instructions. Up until recently, I only smoked aros, so I am kinda doing a leaps and bounds thing right now, trying new things.
Anyhow, I got a flake cut up into a semi-cube cut manner and gravity filled, tapping the bowl against my hand to settle the cubes, grabbed a beer, and headed for the trusty back porch.
It did take a bit to get lit, no problem there. The inital flavor was nice, robust, smokey, spicy and yet mellow. As I got further down the bowl, the flavor got more intense. Delicious. Im not quite as versed in describing flavor as some, but I like this. The dark smokiness is nearly the opposite of most blends I have tried, and it is well executed.
Glad I picked this up. I can easily see this being a regular blend for me. My wife found the room note unpleasant, but thanks to that she did say she wouldnt mind me smoking aros inside occasionally...

I like the tangy of ODF. At times, if I get to pulling too hard to get more flavor the richness of the tobacco taste becomes cloying, back of the throat kinda of rich. But, I've learned to just let it be and enjoy, and the tangyness will last the whole way down to ash.
Good review. It's one of my favorites too, but I prefer to rub it out completely and let it dry to crispy. I rub it out before dinner and then smoke it just before bed. I have a piece of leather on my smoke tray that I let my Virginias dry out on under my desk lamp. A great night smoke for me. It sets my mood for a good nights rest.

K

klause

Smashing review, thank you for sharing the experience. Cracking the tin in the car park made me laugh - been that soldier :)
I'm really glad you succumbed to the charms and delights of ODF - it's an absolute beauty. It really is head and shoulders above most of what's out there.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Totally can't wait to try this stuff, I have 3 100gm tins I've bought just on everyone's raving here about it and on it's description alone.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
I have been in Afghanistan to long. When I read Cosmic talking about rubbing it out brfore dinner I almost spit my drink across my monitor.
That being said, this has been added to my list of must try blends.
Jim

Jan 8, 2013
Lmao. Jim, I seriously considered making a post titled "How Do I Rub It Out?" But I thought that might be pushing it with the mods, so I searched for instructions instead.

Jan 8, 2013
So, after going back this morning and taking a nice big sniff from the can, I caught it. The smell of spicy barbecue sauce. Amazing.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Mac Baren flakes make up a good portion of my rotation/cellar, but I think ODF is the only one I've not tried, lol! I do have some on the way though. I hope it's as good as I think it will be. Mac Baren hasn't let me down in the flake dept. yet! I also enjoy their coins as well, Roll Cake is my favorite of those!

Jan 8, 2013
Cosmic- I tried your method this morning. Rubbed almost 2 full flakes and let it sit for a good while. Once it felt nice and dry, I packed it up and I am halfway through smoking it now. I like it more, the subtleties really shine, and it lights up easier. The smoke is cool and tasty, without being overpowering in any way. Again, thanks for the tip, this might well be the best bowl I have ever smoked.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very tasty stuff. I’m a bit challenged when it comes to articulating the subtle nuances of flavor, but as others have said, tangy and a sort of barbecue flavor are what stood out for me.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
What a great review! :clap: Thanks for taking the time to post the information. I've been smoking H&H Classic Burley Kake for the past few months and really enjoy it. After reading your review I now have a few tins of Old Dark Fired on the way along with Solani Aged Burley Flake 656 and Burley London Blend. :D

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Since posting on this thread I have had a chance to try ODF. My first impression of it was a good one! The tin note is similar to a Lat blend, yet very different at the same time. It was a smooth smoke, very earthy and smokey with a little oak note. Burns nice as well, and even though it is on the strong side, it's still pretty smooth.

All in all, I liked it!

Status
Not open for further replies.