PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I had my eye on this one,

1986 Bill Taylor Era Ashton Pebble Grain Liverpool

it was in near mint condition and the blast was slightly above average (probably much better in the flesh than in the pix as is often the case), but looking through the RDF gallery helped me restrain myself, I do much prefer the gnarliest examples and 1986 has many of those to offer - and I have my eye on another and couldn't justify the other coin because I'm seriously crazy about the other pipe and my coin will be better spent there.
At the same time I seriously wanted this very old 1934 Parker and probably would have went-a-bidding if the stem was in a little better shape...

LARGE GOOD PARKER/ DUNHILL SUPER BRIAR BARK SHELL SHAPE 95
tarheel,

to my eye it looks almost as if the bakelite already has a chip in it??????
rc12leash3.jpg

although I love that lovely warm brown bakelite, over time it tends to crack or chip like flint?

Antique radio forums have crack repair knowledge though...

Belmont638s.jpg

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I had my eye on this one,

1986 Bill Taylor Era Ashton Pebble Grain Liverpool...
It was me, misterlowercase. I ended up spending about 40 bucks more than I wanted to on it, but it is a nice Bill Taylor for less then a new Ashton. I need to get some stem oil to use on that one and my Ashton Canadian. Anyone have experience using Obsidian stem oil on Ashton stems?

May 31, 2012
It was me, misterlowercase. I ended up spending about 40 bucks more than I wanted to on it, but it is a nice Bill Taylor for less then a new Ashton. I need to get some stem oil to use on that one and my Ashton Canadian. Anyone have experience using Obsidian stem oil on Ashton stems?
Nice score Hiplains!

Glad I didn't bid up the price, I was gonna wait until last minute to bid but decided in the end not to. I'm embarrassed to admit the amount of time I spent contemplating that pipe LOL I think it's a very nice one!
Micromesh pads will zap that stem back to black such shiny,

then use Obsidian to keep it that way.
------sidetrack,

anyone who thinks that white stems are "unEnglish" is mistaken,

Dunhill used ivory quite often...

ENGLISH ESTATE PIPE: DUNHILL [BLACK BRIAR] 320 w/ WHITE MOUTHPIECE 1966
I didn't know about the SXX stamp!

Me either!
Pipestud sold one with similar marking Nov. 15,

also had the HT stamp,

it went for $460.99
OXE7uPR.jpg

kuHdJTi.jpg

R9Nb5bE.jpg

May 31, 2012
Well, minutes ago the auction ended for the pipe I wanted.

The price was a little high, but the shape is fairly hard to come by, although I do think Bill Taylor made quite a few LC/120 pipes, they don't seem to show up often, and there are shaping variants (just like Dunhill) - this one appears to be modeled on the very early LC and looks to me like a near perfect "swan neck", and it's my favored XX size too.
I wish there was more than just one picture.
It appears to be have been smoked a good bit, but well taken care of.
This is an instance where the shape beat out blast quality in my book.
Would like to hear frank opinions as to price,

did I overpay?
Will post more when it arrives, which will probably be a while since it's coming from Italy,

~sigh~
ASHTON PREBLE GRAIN XX MADE IN ENGLAND 14 SPLENDIDA PIPA FUMATA SMOKED PIPE
:
A very cool LC comparison tool over at Pipephil:

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/infos/dunhillLC-comp.html

...I think Bill comes the closest to the original there.
I do hope this thing lives up to my expectations.
I only have 1 fullbent billiard in my rack,

so I'm excited about adding another.
A total classic shape!

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I missed that one completely. I'd say you were right in the ballpark for a shape that rare from Ashton and that year. The LC is one of the most graceful of pipe shapes and that Ashton is a beauty. Did the auction only include this one picture? If so, you are a risk taker, keep us posted!
$_57.JPG

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
MLC, i know it has been said and said again, but i much appreciate your insight and research that you so kindly bequeath upon us regarding both pipes and tobacco. This thread is certainly no exception and i have learned a thing or two from the info presented already. Just a quick thank you from layinpipe, carry on with the pics of all those beautiful Ashton's!!!

May 31, 2012
Jason,

thank you so much for posting that pic!

Love that pipe, you lucky duck, what a rare bird and great example it is.
Al,

yep, only one picture, a big risk on my part for sure, I'm on pins 'n needles.

I paid immediately and shortly after, the seller, Vittorio, wrote me to say he was posting it out tomorrow and will give me a tracking number - and that inspires some confidence,

but I can't wait to have it in hand and inspect it!
I gambled because he seemed to have good feedback, and the other pipes he had listed looked quite nice, so I can only wait and see.
I fell in love with that thing.

circle-of-hearts-smiley-emoticon.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.