PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
When I first discovered Latakia, the smoky vixen that it is, I ordered some of Russ' Yule Log. When I first opened up my ounce I was greeted by a great latakia blend smell but a terrible dryness. My first bowl of it was underwhelming when compared with EMP and certaibly didn't hold a flame to Nightcap, but we won't compair the latter as its in a class of it's own in terms of taste. When browsing the forums I saw that someone had rehydrated some leaf with some rum. Not having any rum on hand, I reached for my bottle of Jim Beam. Into a mason jar I put the remainder of my oz of Yule Log and 2.5 tsp of Jim Beam. Three weeks later I opened the jar and wow! The smell of smoky bourbon hit me, and I like it. I gave it some drying time as it was still on the damp side, about an hour was enough. The flavor of the Latakia has really come forward in a nice way. Kind of in the way that salt makes pepper taste better. It is complemented by the bourban not masked. The VAs also get a hand in the sweetness department in that you can taste them now. When I say sweetness though I don't mean in the aromatic way, but that the natural sweetness of the VAs seem to come out more. Overall a really nice smoke and one that I'll keep around, at least untill my jar runs out and then we will see what happens next. Do you have any similar experiments! How have they turned out?

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Good job rejuvinating the Yule Log! I'm interested in hearing how you applied the JB to the tobacco. Did you just sprinkle it on the leaf? I may try this with some Proper English that's not ringing my bell.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Eric, the tobacco is in a half pint mason, I just poured the bourban on top, closed it up tight and began to shake and roll the jar until I felt like there was a good coating all around. Every other day or so for the first week I'd shake it up agai just to make sure it was getting around.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
i did the same thing with some Peterson Irish Whiskey. it was dried out...added jameson. turned out pretty good.. IMO.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
This sounds like a great idea for a Christmas!

I think I will make a couple of jars. This sounds like a great gift for my BIL.
Was the half pint jar full of tobacco?

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Wow, that sounds great. I gotta think that a little scotch would go well in a lat blend.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
seagullplayer, the half pint jar was full of the blend, almost an ounce of that particular blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.