PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I was wanting to know how does everyone search for pipes on eBay. Do you have specific filters set, and what terms do you search for. I've only typed in "estate pipes," but I'm beginning to feel that I have been really limiting my searches.
Thanks! :puffpipe:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I only purchase from the blue chip sellers with over 8k sakes to their name. They are the safe ones who deliver what they promise every time. My favorite is Treasurepipes and great-estatepipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not an ebay buyer, but it's good to know there's a way in without facing the wall of junk.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
If you really want to see everything that is available, just search by category. Set your filter to "Collectibles > Tobacciana > Pipes" Instead of letting it default to "Best Match" for sorting, sort by "ending soonest" to see if there is anything ending in the next hour or so you have to bid on. Then, sort by "Newly Listed". Follow this search sorted this way and you can see everything Ebay has to offer pipe-wise. Be warned you'll see a lot of "glass tobacco pipes" and other nonsense.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Something other than eBay.
I've bought over 100 pipes on ebay, about 50 vintage Grabows, some very old very rare. Ebay has been great for me, would have been quite a chore to amass this collection from yard sales. Buyer beware, check feedback and do your homework and you'll be fine.

+1 for Pipestud and many others on this forum.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
For estates; Pipestud, Smokingpipes, Pulver's Briars, Mkelaw Pipes....the list goes on.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I enjoy doing my own restoration work,so I look for:
- no name sellers

- incorrectly listed pipes

- fuzzy pictures

- auctions that end at weird times
I've purchased enough that I can take a risk on the above and rarely get burned.
I watch a LOT of pipes on Ebay, 100 a week or so. I have searches set for all my brands (about eight) and check the results via my phone app about 2-3 times daily.
The deals are on the "buy it now" which show up, get purchased and disappear forever. I don't have time to monitor the offerings that closely, so those are lost most of the time. I've made a few purchases pulled along the should of some interstate. The phone app is a blessing and a curse...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you set too specific of a search (ie "Peterson 9BC), that filters out sellers who list like:
"VTG Pristine Peterson Gentleman's smoking pipe".
My searches are simple brands, Savinelli, etc. I've learned there is also a limit to the number of searches you can have (about 10?).

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
In the two years since I bought my first pipe at Walgreen's, I've had TREMENDOUS luck on Ebay finding decent (as far as my limited experience knows) values.

When I see a pipe that interests me, I usually also check out all the listings by that seller, and in the category list I highlight 'collectibles' and then scroll to tobaccania....that reveals any more pipes this seller might have.

I've bought all kinds from cobs to unsmoked briar. From Dunhill to Medico to Comoys to Barling to any number of manufactured pipes, some marked as 'hand made'.

My investment hasn't been what I consider a lot of money and it's been FUN.

I've got about 60 pipes and I no longer search as often as I used to, but I still enjoy looking. About the same as my sex life.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Here's a link to ebay's better offerings I once gleaned in a thread on these forums..I had it saved in my 'favorites'...it's a nice place to see and explore. Once you click on a pipe it takes you to the seller's page on ebay and from there you can either continue with suggested pipes below the specific one you clicked on or go to the seller's page and see what you see there....sometimes you'll find that the pipe you clicked is their only offering and that they have no clue about the price or the grade. It can work both ways.

LINK to Pipes

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I set my search for tobacciana and then just type in a name like Barling. I only buy pipes that have been cleaned and are in pristine condition. I am not like Al who likes refinishing pipes, he never has to worry about me as competition.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
In the main ebay search bar I just type estate pipes. It automatically takes me to Collectibles - Tobacciana - Pipes - Estate. From there I sort by time ending soonest. If I'm looking for meerschaum pipes I just type in meerschaum pipes.

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Speaking of eBay... Are Ben Wade pipes actually "rare" or valuable? Most of them seem to be freehand master-craftsmanship, but some I obtained (at lower prices) had a couple of obvious fills and were cheaper, though I paid almost $45 for one. (To a lot of people here, that's couch change. To me, it's part of my monthly budget, which I blew on an eBay binge last night.) I got one for a little less than $30, and I got (I think) a Danish pipehead of terrific worksmanship for only $15. Most of them were dirty in some way, but I figure this is my first opportunity to learn how to restore pipes. I think that's a good hobby. So are Ben Wades worth the effort?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have found some great pipes from non-mass sellers. I usually type in the type of pipe I am looking for EX: Peterson pipe,Boswell pipe, Kaywoodie. I love when I get a unsmoked gem because someone didn't know about carbon coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.