PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My long winded review:

This is some seriously tasty stuff. ?

After a few bowls over the last two days, I must say I'm greatly enjoying it.

Now for a real review, I'll leave it to the professional:

The grassy, citrusy Virginia forms the base for the other components to shine, and I consider it to be a team player. The lightly smoky, woody sweet and floral Katerini also has a spice note as an important supporting player, though it doesn’t over take the other varietals. The nutty, woody, earthy, lightly sweet burley and the woody, nutty, dry and mildly spicy dark fired Kentucky are condiments. The overall spice level is fairly mild. The unsweetened black cavendish provides a little smoothing brown sugar. The raisiny, plummy, lightly spicy perique mostly plays a background role. The strength is just past medium and the taste level is a hair past that. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no rough edges. Burns cool, clean, and a little slow as plug tobaccos will do. The nuanced flavors are very consistent from start to finish which is a hallmark of a well blended product. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is certainly repeatable.

-JimInks

And an older thread on this wonderful plug...in case anyone wants to reference it:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It’s my favourite C&D blend so far. True to the marketing, it really does seem exotic and somewhat alien to me, compared to the standard englishes, burleys, and Virginias that are so prevalent.

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
True to the marketing, it really does seem exotic and somewhat alien to me, compared to the standard englishes, burleys, and Virginias that are so prevalent.

That's precisely my impression as well...genuinely different...in a good way. I'm guessing the "Katerini" component has much to do with that...although I know nothing about it other than Jim's remarks in his review.

Reactions: Casual

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea that’s an awesome tobacco. One of my favorites. I’m aging a few tins, can’t wait to crack one of them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@perdurabo

I like your "curry-like" observation of the Katerini in your review...that's a good description.

I'm terrible at identifying and articulating specific flavors, so I don't attempt formal reviews...I just know if I like it and how much.

Reactions: danimalia and Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice full-bodied flavor and smooth burning qualities. I've heard mostly praise from others too. I taste the separate tobaccos less than some other blends, but it tastes fulsome and pleasing.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I need to return to this one. Initially, at least, I couldn't get past the grape-drink-like note. Is this stuff topped or not? If not, C&D gets some aromas and tastes from tobacco that I've never encountered anywhere else.

Reactions: kurtbob

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I couldn't get past the grape-drink-like note.

Interesting...I never would have described anything as grape-tasting, but I was actually smoking it as I read your comments, and I could sort of see how one could get that note from it (maybe just the power of suggestion) but not to me a strong flavor element.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Welcome to the club, my favorite blend, the grape drink topping some are talking about, to me I think it's a light grape brandy topping, at least that's what I get. YMMV

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I don’t get any grape from it. Are you sure you’re not talking about Visions of Celephais, which is pure grape koolaid?

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Are you sure you’re not talking about Visions of Celephais
Yep, not going near that one because I've read the grape/pomegranate thing is even stronger in it than in Dream of K. We all have different sensitivities, and I guess grape drink is one of mine. Probably some childhood trauma associated with grape Kool Aid... Too bad, too, because DoK otherwise checks all the boxes for me.

Reactions: Casual

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Probably some childhood trauma associated with grape Kool Aid...

LOL

In Perdurabo's review he described it as brandy-like. I suspect that's what trubka's perceiving as grape-like. Acidpox described the same thing.

May be a topping of some sort, or maybe the interplay of the several components that some taste differently than others.

Reactions: kurtbob and aquadoc

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, you're right, it's probably just the aftertaste from my slivovica bong.
Just having a bit of fun. To each his own tastes. I cannot for the life of me taste/smell chocolate in any blend so if the grape is there it probably is my nose and tongue at fault. Too many years working with chemicals in a lab.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
LOL

In Perdurabo's review he described it as brandy-like. I suspect that's what trubka's perceiving as grape-like. Acidpox described the same thing.

May be a topping of some sort, or maybe the interplay of the several components that some taste differently than others.

For me it's more in the tin note than the actual smoke itself.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Just having a bit of fun.
Oh, for sure, me too! I certainly don't claim to have a well-tuned tobacco palate. It's at least equally likely that I'm imagining the grape as it is that you're not picking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.