PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Many folks have asked over time and after 4 years, I am back in the employed population. It has been a frustrating ride with my age and my education and experience scaring off all potential employers, bosses, etc. It falls into a weird logical thought process but all I wanted was to get back to work. I have not sat on my hands, I have written a book and have been doing small consulting jobs and lectures here and there. In any case, I have been hired and will be moving to New Hampshire from Georgia. No relocation expenses provided so I have to figure out how I will do so but come hell or high water, I will be there on time.
Thanks to the board and everyone who provided encouragement.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Thankful you have a new position. The job market is tough if you are deemed overqualified. :clap:

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It boggles the mind. I have had HR directors tell me that it was a lost cause when the supervisor for the position I applied to was younger and had less experience. I explained I was not gunning for anyone's position...but no.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations! A good supervisor should be able to use a more experienced employee without losing their place in line. Get some checks coming in, and get some winter clothes. You aren't in Georgia any more.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Congratulations! I'm glad you found a berth. Not only are they scared of "overqualified" people gunning for someone else's job, they're afraid you're just waiting to jump ship for the job you "really wanted". It's a tough set of circumstances.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Congratulations for your turn of luck, Charles! BTW, I've grown quite fond of those field note pads-- thanks. Enjoy New Hampshire

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have family in NH. Fabulous place, especially if you love the outdoors. Bring your bug spray!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Congrats on the new job. Being unemployed for whatever reason is a bitch and tough on your self-esteem. Put $$ aside and keep on looking just in case....damn, it sure feels good to be retired and out of that mindset.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Congratulations on your new gig! I work in a project based industry, so I've been laid off a couple of hundred times.

I can relate to the weird problems that being accomplished in your field can sometimes bring, being turned down because you're considered "over qualified" or because your potential potential supervisor is insecure or a fraud.
My position was that the only thing I'm "over qualified" for was unemployment but people just couldn't believe that. Like aldecaker wrote, your potential employer may not only be certain that you'll try to steal his job (because that's probably what he would try to do if the situation was reversed) but that you'll quit as soon as a better spot gets offered to you rather than fulfill your commitment (which, again, is what he or she probably would do).
It"s difficult for people to grasp that you might actually be happy being more of a grunt than a general, especially if you've been a general.

Status
Not open for further replies.