PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Found a tin of Penzance (limited to one) at tonights Dayton Pipe Club meeting at The Wharf.
Looking forward to trying it.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I get it; it's been raved about so much that I figured I had to try a tin. If I don't like it, someone at random gets an almost full tin.
I actually turned down the opportunity to try Black Frigate last night from a sample tin. I'm a bit nic sensitive and it's tin note was pretty strong. I know, I know - Penzance is rated stronger in Nic too, but I figured one thing to try.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't find either to be heavy in nicotine, but Penzance is a bit heavy in the Latakia for me. I keep it around to add spice to other blends, but really don't care for it on its own.
img_20150601_165825-600x450.jpg

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I got a tin of it yesterday. I havnt smoked any yet, and while Im aware of the hype and impending letdown, for me I feel the fun of these hard to get blends is in the hunt.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Take it for what it is and enjoy it (or not). You can't smell or taste hype.
A very interesting exercise is to line up a bunch of new cobs with similar blends. Number the cobs on the bottom, switch them around so that you don't know what you will be smoking at any given time, and sample. I've done this with the plethora of Orlik/suspected Orlik Va and Va-Per flakes. Started by rubbing them out and putting them in numbered dishes so I can sniff at them before loading and lighting.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Congrats! Everyone remembers their first time; I hope it's magical for you, sir.
I'll share a wise bit of advice that a fellow member suggested to me: just give Penzance a fair chance; and then, if underwhelmed, jar it up, and then give it one more try down the line, just to make sure.

Jun 27, 2016
+1 on jarring up a little. Personally I seem to like it best with a little age on it. Also, my favorite aspect of Penzance is the tongue-lacquer. :puffy:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I found it to be smooth with an excellent taste and aftertaste which lingered pleasantly. To me, it tasted like a well kept woman. True story. :wink:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Congrats! Everyone remembers their first time; I hope it's magical for you, sir.
I really don't. To me it tasted exactly like Pirate Kake, so no great memorable moment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll share a wise bit of advice that a fellow member suggested to me: just give Penzance a fair chance; and then, if underwhelmed, jar it up, and then give it one more try down the line, just to make sure.
Good advice. I bought a bag in 2006 and didn't like it, so I jarred it. 8 years later, I opened the jar, packed a bowl, and hated it just as much.

Mar 29, 2016
Always trust you first experience, especially with Penzance and many Esoterica ''tobaccos''. It's a shame as the Germain's offerings are incredible in comparison. Maybe they put the leftovers and spray them with their ''secret recipe'' and voila a new line of tobaccos that people will go to great lengths to acquire. I had a Penzance tin that was aged and all, I gave it other pipe smokers, you should have seen the look on their faces.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
"A very interesting exercise is to line up a bunch of new cobs with similar blends. Number the cobs on the bottom, switch them around so that you don't know what you will be smoking at any given time, and sample. I've done this with the plethora of Orlik/suspected Orlik Va and Va-Per flakes. Started by rubbing them out and putting them in numbered dishes so I can sniff at them before loading and lighting"
I like this idea. I often wonder if I could tell blends apart without the labels. I know some that would be easy, but then there are those that are very similar, and may be a bit more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.