PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I just love how everyone whines about the price. I bought a pound just last week for $45 per 8 ounce bag, which comes out to exactly $9.90 per 1.76 oz (50 gram) tin. Oh the horror of the "overpriced" Esoterica blends.
(I bought 3 bags of Stonehaven at that same price).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Kinda late to this thread, but a note of caution to those trying Penzance for the first time: It comes in very moist, like all Esotericas. (over 90% RH) Drying it down significantly is advised.

Dec 28, 2015
It's almost comical how folks preach about "smoke what you like", but then the word Penzance is mentioned and it all goes out the window
Thanks for saying this troutface. I respect everyone's opinion and different tastes but I resent the insinuation that anyone who enjoys Penzance is only buying into the hype and jumping on the bandwagon. If that was the case the same could be said of several other blends which seem to be favorites of forum members. Personally I am very thankful to the forum member who first shared Penzance with me and I have since found it not that hard to acquire at fairly reasonable prices. But that is just my opinion.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It's almost comical how folks preach about "smoke what you like", but then the word Penzance is mentioned and it all goes out the window
I think it's a fine blend. The hype is ridiculous, people who have never tried it may have some unrealistic expectations because of this. I enjoy a bowl occasionally but have yet to experience the Angels singing or Unicorns farting YMMV.

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
As mentioned, a very good tobacco in a world with many very good tobaccos. I have an opened tin jarred up and a sealed tin, plus an 8 oz bag I picked up at my tobacconist's place not long ago. Very good? Yes. Would I pay any more than msrp? Nah. I would hate for Penzance to be my favorite tobacco - that would suck for the supply/hoarding/ebay speculating issues that exist. I'll crack the other tin in 3-4 months, maybe the bag towards the end of summer.
If more falls in my lap in the next year, that would be sweet, however, no sleep lost here if I never have any more in my cellar.
However, if you have an opportunity to purchase some, how can you not? And when you do have those opportunities, it does make you feel pretty good, certainly if it is your first time.
Penzance - nothing bad to say about it. For the ebay tobacco speculators and hoarders that seem to feel life is not complete without 5lbs of the stuff cellared, however, well, that is what Hype does to people and things, including a high quality tobacco, like Penzance, and where I might have bad things to say, lol ...

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I like it. Glad it is in current production. I have my share so I'm set. Right now I could live without it, but I don't have to. Not really in the current rotation more than a couple few times a month. I agree with the notion that there is no need to knock it.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Tried my first bowl and I thought it was good. Id smoke it again, and would buy another tin if I ran into it. The best part is that having tried it. I dont have to think about wanting to find it anymore. Ive moved on, and its back to business as usual.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Having a lingering sinus thing (and that I mostly smoke outdoors), I've yet to take advantage of my find (which I purchased at normal retail). I have to say that as an automotive enthusiast, PattyThePerfect's endorsement
...Like a burning tire pit...
has me fully intrigued.
So I still don't know if I'll like it or not, but if I don't, I'm sure I'll find a gift recipient somewhere.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Theory: Some old bloke somewhere was quite popular around the forums. He had a love for Penzance, and would pay anything for it, (There has to be a tobacco we would pay almost anything for, it's our favorite go to blend) Next thing you know because the bloke is so popular everyone wants to smoke what he smokes, some fall in love with the Penzance, some not so much. Supply and demand enters the equation, the stuff becomes hard to get and here we are. A blend that some love, some could live without, and others hate. Hype! Where's that old popular bastard now?

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I was lucky enough to grab one tin online. I was really hoping the rumours were true, and that it would be overrated and not to my liking. I was very disappointed to find that I liked it quite a bit. I've been rationing those 2oz's but they are all but gone now.

Skip tells me that even in the pre-forum world of the 70's, that Esotericas were all the rage. They didn't sell out as fast, but when guys would see that Penzance was in stock, they'd buy it up as fast as they could. The only difference is that back then he would sell out in a few days, but today, they sell out in one phone call.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
True, Penzance is not something that will "service" you while you smoke it, but it is an enjoyable smoke. That's not to say there aren't others equal in quality.... or more so. I have an almost constant access to Penzance at $13 a tin and There are more cost effective english blends there as well... I gravitate to Penzance because I really enjoy it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good to hear you were able to pick up a tin and at a good price to boot.

I hope you enjoy it...let us know what you think you get a chance to try it. :puffy:

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
So even since I've posted this, I've still had this nasty sinus thing. It's finally starting to clear, so I'm hoping for a test fire this weekend.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
AT LAST!!!! Pulled out my Nording Calabash, rubbed out some Penzance, packed a bowl and sat on the back porch. Admittedly my pipe tobacco palate is immature, but I will say that I enjoyed the smooth nature of Penzance. My wife sat on the back porch with me and commented that she loved the aroma; she's not stuck on "cherries" and "vanillas" as aroma kings and finds many English blends palatable.
Would I seek high & low, risking jail in a 3rd world country for Penzance? No, but based on my first bowl ever, I can see getting through the tin before making that final call.
Puff on fellow pipers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad you're enjoying it. I did years ago, but just seems a bit flat and heavy handed on the Latakia to me. Have given a few pounds to friends, and keep it around for mixing now.
img_20170121_185506-337x600.jpg

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Glad you got to crack into the tin. Ive been alternating between Quiet Nights and Penzance. I like Penzance, and think that its super creamy, but Quiet Nights has a bit more of that oriental twang that my tongue craves.

Status
Not open for further replies.