PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Always trust you first experience, especially with Penzance and many Esoterica ''tobaccos''.
Glad Esoterica wasn't the first thing I smoked. If it were, I would have shot my pipe. Horrid stuff.

Mar 29, 2016
A first smoke usually decides if I drop that tobacco or not. I used to give chances to Penzance and the like, I ended up wasting time and a ruined smoking session is not funny.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've heard that story Mayfair. It is R rated.
I thought it was X rated, actually. My apologies for being vulgar, ladies and gentlemen. This is why I don't do reviews, or get invited to dinner, or have friends.
After all the hubbub over Penzance, I found it to be a solid smoke with subtle and very satisfying qualities. If it weren't for its scarcity, I would make it an everyday smoke.
I'll be trying Pirate Kake for sure. :)

Mar 29, 2016
It's funny you say this, Lancer's Slices is one of my favorite tobaccos and Pirate Kake is one of the most amazing Lat bomb but the additives in Penzance kills it for me. I guess you can only case and top so much before it becomes counterproductive.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I love Penzance, but it's still one of the most overrated tobacco's out there. It's a great blend, but it's not worth what people buy it for on ebay, nor is it worth the hunt to track it down. If it comes available and is at a suggested retail price then I'll grab some more otherwise I just enjoy other blends.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
Congratulations for You finally being able to acquire some Penzance Tobacco.I myself find all of their tobaccos to be of stellar

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
Congratulations for You finally being able to acquire some Penzance Tobacco.I myself find all of their tobaccos to be of stellar quality. You have gotten a fine English Tobacco that no one has been able to duplicate yet though many claim to have duplicated Germains Formula.In the world of Tobacco this is surely one of the greats.
JON :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Please add C&D's Star of the East to the list of cousins. (Somebody wrote years ago that it was an affordable and available alternative to Penzance.)
Here's four recommended "sorta', kinda', in the ballpark, almost, but not quite, well, maybe" blends in the Penzance profile:
1. Pirate Kake

2. Lancer's Slices

3. Ten to Midnight

4. Star of the East
I prefer any of the four to Penzance.
Fnord

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Now that we have our quarterly Penzance bashing thread out of the way, back to our regularly scheduled program .....

:wink:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
It's almost comical how folks preach about "smoke what you like", but then the word Penzance is mentioned and it all goes out the window. It's just a lightning rod for controversy. Smoking it now in a Poul Hansen lovat and it's still one of the best blends ever to hit my tongue. By comparison Lancer's Slices is like a blunt instrument to me. Lucky for the blenders that we each experience flavors differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.