PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Alright guys, so the other day i made the thread about the Castello Sea Rock GG Billiard and whether or not it was a goood deal. Like i said in the follow up, i passed on that one but was not successful when my PAD came flaring back up out of remission to punch me right in my damn face. I wanted a Castello before, but since almost buying the GG i felt empty and knew that although i shouldn't, i had to get a Sea Rock. I've read so many good things about them from you guys as well as digging up reviews from other forums and websites. It just somehow twistedly made sense in my sometimes dysfunctional brain and way of thinking.
Anyways, i mulled over whether or not to pull the trigger on this pipe all yesterday, last night, and today at work. The little devil on my left shoulder finally knocked the angel on the right shoulder the F out and convinced me to "buy it now", which i reluctantly (you believe me, right?) said, "fine, i'll do it". I'm stoked to get the pipe and finally see what these Castello's are all about.
I messaged the guy before i pulled the trigger to get a little background on it and he said he was the only owner who bought the pipe for around $500 brand new and its only been smoked around a dozen times at most and that the chamber (only thing i couln't make out in complete detail) was in great shape with only a very light cake in it. As you can see in the link, everything else looks about brand spankin' new, including the sleeve and box. Funny thing is, in doing my research on the pipe to make sure i was getting a decent deal, i found the exact pipe through a google search brand new at smokingpipes.com from a couple years ago in 2012. I asked the seller if that was where he got it from and he confirmed that was the very pipe. Sure does help to know your shit and put the legwork in before you buy, especially on ebay. There are so many scammers and degenerates out there its insane.
Without further delay, here is the link to ebay and then the link to the smokingpipes.com page as well. Let me know what you guys think about the pipe and if you think it was a good deal or not, honesty is appreciated, lol. Thanks a ton!!
EBAY LISTING LINK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291117881050?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
SMOKING PIPES LINK:

http://smokingpipes.net/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=93251

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
it's a crispy piece. Looks like almost new. No burn mark,clean stem, unique design,most of all it is kkkk.

I think it's great deal with beautiful pipe. Enjoy.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen, much appreciated. Purple, that's funny you posted that link, I saw that pipe when I was looKing around and comparing prices. I think I looked at about a thousand sea rocks, haha. Fadingdaylight, yeah that devil is real good at what he does. Little bastard.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
layinpipe, I think you did great. That pipe is going to be a great smoker. It is a great size( group 5) so you can smoke any type of blends in it whether you are a flake guy, and English guy or an aromatic guy, that pipe will smoke them all very well. I remember my first Castello and loved it for it's cool and dry smoking properties. Since you have never owned one before you will need to adjust your packing method. The shank dimensions on that pipe is probably around 4.3 to 4.7 mm which is probably larger than any of your other pipes. You will need to pack it much firmer than your other pipes as too loose a pack will make your tobacco burn hot and you will lose flavor. After you pack it check the draw and you want it to feel like you are sipping a milk shake through a straw, you want some pretty good resistance. It may take you a few times to get it right but once you do, you are in for a real treat.
That is a great looking pipe, I love a good panel like yours. The price is definitely more than fair. Since the seller is pretty new, make sure you look it over with a fine tooth comb. Make sure the stem fits perfectly to the shank, make sure it is not too loose of too tight. Look inside the bowl and make sure there is no spider webbing or any cracks. Check the finish all around the pipe, and make sure you do all this before you light it up.
Congrats on a great deal and be sure to report back on how it smokes for you.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
cigrmaster, thanks a lot for the advice, I certainly appreciate it. I will definitely look it over thoroughly, like all new and estate pipes I buy. The thing is, unless you are buying it in person, for the most part it's a crap shoot. The Dunhill root briar I bought a few months ago came from a very respected and recommended ebay seller and I found some spider webbing and very shallow cracks inside the bowl. I had it checked out by my b&m pipe guy and he said it wasn't anything to worry about and that the cake will keep them from becoming a problem, just smoke slow until one builds up. So far, he's been right. The seller was in Europe as well so I REALLY didn't want to send it back. I've also returned a few new pipes I got online because of different issues. I returned a big ben cambridge that was brand new recently that had the worst drill placement ever. I still don't know how that got out of the factory.
The good thing is I asked plenty of questions, which the seller promptly answered to my satisfaction as well as studying the provided pics up close. The good thing is I know where the pipe came from (second link) and it doesn't look much different than the pics of it new. The main thing is the mortise, tenon connection and the inside of the bowl. Those are the things that can be easily hidden until it's in your hands. i will be sure to thoroughly inspect it though, that's for sure.
BTW, I smoke a little of everything but mainly flakes and Englishes. My favorite is irish flake, ODF, NIGHTCAP, and royal yacht. Right now I'm puffing some Hyde park out of my Peterson's flame grain, so you can see I'm kind of all over the board. Depends on my mood and what I feel like smoking.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
layin, it sounds like you have a good working knowledge of the estate market so you should be fine. As you said you know where it came from so I am sure it will be fine. If that were my pipe, I would definitely try the ODF first in that puppy. I only smoke Irish Flake in group 4 sized pipes as it can be a bit overwhelming in anything larger for my tastes. I would also try cube cutting the ODF first and see how that works for you. How do you normally prepare your flakes? I cube cut mine most of the time but use fold and stuff when I am smoking outside.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
You, sir, are screwed.
Allow me to explain.
I remember hoarding every last shekel I had to save for my first Castello. And finally, I did it. And, it was great. And then my other pipes... were not so great in comparison. And I was reminded, every time I smoked them, that I could be smoking the Castello instead.
Now I have eleven and $200 for that piece sounds like a pretty damn good deal.
As I said. Screwed.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
And to speak to looking it over with a fine tooth comb, if ever there was an estate I didn't bother doing that with, that'd be the one. Looks pristine. And a Pi to boot. Great score.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014

Actually, I'm smoking some Irish Flake right now in my Tinsky dress coral Canadian group 5 (Mark's grading). This is definitely my irish flake pipe, I can't tell you how well it smokes out of this pipe, simply bliss every time with a smooth cool perfect draw. Im pairing it with some knob creek on the rocks and my moretti morta tamper he made for me with the morta poker. I might have to take you up on that ODF for the virgin smoke in the castello. Or maybe some jackknife. I only have the ready rubbed right now though, no flake. I find it's justdo the as good and less preparation. I usually rub my flakes out but occasionally do the other two. Last night I cut up some perfect plug and mixed with a rubbed out university flake in my new Rinaldo I posted about on here and it was delicious. Highly recommend it.
Fishingandpipes, hahaha I like it, first world problems right there my friend. Thanks for the reassurance, we'll see if that holds true!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The size and IMO outstanding proportion of that GG even made the so so carving hard to pass up but this one is the one that I have been thinking about and would look good in the collection. 8O

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=143162

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Peck, sir yes sir, and thank you for the comment. Dave, damn that's a beaut. The grain on that pipe is absurd and the way it flows from the top rim of the bowl to the shank is splendid. Now if you could only negotiate the price down a tad...

Status
Not open for further replies.