PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
I recently acquired a Vauen pipe with the 9mm charcoal filter...how often should these filters be changed.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I would concur with Cosmic. Nasty little things get in between me and a decent smoke. I do have one pipe in which I use the filter adapter just to reduce the draught hole size down a bit, otherwise, it overflows me with too much smoke.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Only a couple of pipes in my rotation are drilled for 9mm filters. I can get three bowls out of charcoal filters without fouling, but I greatly prefer the Savinelli balsa filters, which are available in 6mm and 9mm. They last for about three bowls as well, if you give them time to dry. You can also install an adapter if you'd prefer not to bother with filters at all. I've done that with one of my 9mm pipes that shipped with one.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
This is mostly the unhelpful advice one gets in a thread on filters. More than one bowl is doable, but a filter might clog such that it draws like you might have packed the bowl too tight... right out of the box, or after being set aside after a bowl. I have nearly a hundred 9 and 6mm pipes, I use one filter per smoking event. So, often one filter per bowl.
The Savinelli 9mm filters are nice but expensive. I buy my 9mm filters -- either charcoal or meerschaum chips -- from European sources in 200 filter bags/tubes for around $20/bag. Stanwell or Vauen filters in the US are more like $8/40filters.
Filter pipes are just fine with a filter. Stick with it. Compare and contrast with unfiltered smoking.

Those charcoal filters are just horrible. I hate them with an undying passion, and they give all of the inserts a bad name. My recommendation is to either do without, or try using the 9mm balsa wood inserts made by Savinelli, as they are not a filter in the same way trhe charcoal ones are. The balsa wood dries the smoke, instead of trying to remove flavor or tars. The charcoal ones will leave you with a tasteless smoke. But, better than using either of these, just dry your tobaccos out really well. Then you won't need one at all.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
The charcoal ones will leave you with a tasteless smoke.
Not true.
Filter haters will hate. You can search on this forum and find this bad talk in any filter thread.
Stick with filters in your Vauen.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/can-you-improve-my-6mm-balsa-filters

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/making-balsa-filters

Not exactly true, I think you'll find many times I have praised Savinelli Inserts. I just happen to not like the charcoal ones. I find they reduce how much you can taste of the smoke. So, I guess they don't affect the flavor at all you you? I find that harder to believe.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
9mm filters are the best invention in the history of mankind. I use the Vauen Dr Perls.
95% of my smokes I use a 9mm filter. You can buy them in boxes of 100 from smokingpipes for under 12 bucks, that is 12c each. So they are very cheap
I change them every smoke. They aren't designed to be re-used.
There is a reason why 95% of Germany pipe smokers use them. I wouldn't pay much attention to opinions, try them for yourself. I did an I was WOW'd. All the same great flavor but after you smoke your mouth feels clean.
Enjoy!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
You will get a ton of different opinions, the best way is to try and decide yourself.

I hated filters one year ago but have recently decided to keep only one non-filtered pipe. I've tried everything: none, adapter, balsa and Vauen's Dr Pearls which I like the most. It does affect the taste a little but for health reasons I prefer to get rid of some nicotine and the nasty stuff. The smoke is still good enough for me. I'm changing filters after every bowl, just like it clean and fresh. :)

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
Cool, thank you everyone. I am using the Dr Pearls and I will change them after every smoke...is there an orientation in which they are supposed to be used? I noticed one side is blue and the other white. I also obtained an insert and will try this as well

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Filters are a matter of personal preference. Mostly I don't use them. If you use the 9 mm filter, I think the recommended use is about three or four bowls, which I think people probably use them for a dozen or twenty. Other options including just removing the filter for an open draw, or if you prefer a more focused airway, an adaptor provides a no-filter airway that is a little more narrow. Filters are not described or explained often enough, unless you have a really good pipe shop proprietor at your disposal. Most of us learn by trial and error, and people buy filter pipes without knowing the filters are there, and without any plan regarding them, so you are not alone. The use of filters, to me, is if you want to somewhat mute really strong tobacco, or if you are going to smoke much more than usual, as at a pipe show or pipe club, to keep from getting too much nicotine or tongue bite. Other filters or similar devices include 6 mm, balsa inserts, Brigham maplewood inserts, and various adaptors to smoke filter pipes as non-filter pipes, and many old fashioned stingers, not really filters, but moister condensers. Learn enough about these to know whether to avoid, adapt, or utilize.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I vastly prefer Balsa filters to the Charcoal ones...I agree with the other Mike that they mute the flavor too much. I do like the moisture absorption of the balsa, particularly if I'm at a gathering like a pipe club where fidgeting around with cleaners to absorb gurgle is not convenient. I am not such a pro that I can dry my tobacco out completely and still enjoy it, so the balsa have their place. And with them, I can smoke Plumcake and not feel as though my tongue has been shaved. :puffpipe:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I tend to like some of the filters, Sav's, Stanwell, Brigham. I think all work very well. But I hate the paper ones. To answer the question, those specific filters you mentioned last me about 4 smokes.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Cool, thank you everyone. I am using the Dr Pearls and I will change them after every smoke...is there an orientation in which they are supposed to be used? I noticed one side is blue and the other white. I also obtained an insert and will try this as well
Blue end towards your mouth, white end towards the bowl.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
nothing wrong with filter IMHO other than you need to change them all the time. Personally, I don't wan't to work that hard.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
+1 for Mso489, Interestingly I rarely see any traditional British manufactures pipes are filtered,then I have few filtered pipes,Savinelli and Chacom,balsa filters work satisfactory for me but Charcoal or Paper ones tend to mute (clean)smoke too much for my preference,I only use those if I had strong or bitey tobacco.+ then there is the economic side to this,the balsa filters and those with meerchaum chips are quite pricey,so often I'm opting for adapters to replace them,

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nothing divides the pipe community quite like filters.
As with almost anything else related to pipes, its all personal preference. I will say that this thread has made me want to bring out my Vauen this afternoon :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Marketing pioneer Daniel Boone Savinelli with an early focus group

1510747522357687855319.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.