PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I change filters after every smoke. I like to remove a filter sooner than later to allow the pipe to dry. If it was a full bowl the filter can get a bit soggy and unpleasant. Because I find myself living in Germany (for now) I have a number of pipes made to accommodate filters. I also have pipes that don't use filters. If you are new to pipe smoking you may find that using a filter will help prevent tongue bite while you learn the ropes. Filters can sort of even out the smoke too. I don't notice a marked difference in taste but everyone is different. If I have one of my filter pipes and have forgotten to bring along filters I simply smoke without. When I do this I notice I have to do a bit more cleaning where the filter would have been. I also enjoy my pipes that don't take filters. One thing I like about not using filters is reducing the amount of rubbish produced and lowering the cost of my pipe smoking indulgence.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
To answer your question without getting side tracked, I change my filters with every bowl if it is a large bowl, and every other bowl if it smaller. I prefer vaun, stanwell or peterson charcoal filters, this after trying a great deal of them. The main reason I started using filters was because some blends, especially strong Virginias give me the hiccups. After a while, I have realized that while there is a difference in taste between filtered and unfiltered, it is not that significant to me. I never smoke aromatics with filters though, and rarely English blends using a filter. Out of my total number of pipes I keep 5 on my desk, at the moment, out of which three are filtered, one I exclusively use with balsa, and one unfiltered by default. I change them every so often with pipes in my collection, especially if I pull out tobaccos that are not in my usual rotation. Make up your own mind, smoke filtered, smoke unfiltered, see what works best for you, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Personally, in general not a filter type, but for the few filter briars I do have, Savinelli balsa's the way I go. No hate, particularly, I just find that usually the things interfere with the draft & using cleaners, which I do after every bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find having to purchase and continually replace filters a distraction in pipe smoking. I guess it could be part of the ritual, and people who like filters probably wrap them into the ritual with no problem. I just don't like additional items to purchase, store, keep track of, and manipulate with each smoke. The tendency for some might be to smoke more to get back the flavor they missed. I prefer fewer bowls with fuller flavor -- or so it seems to me.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I used to hate filters but now I use them on my Savinelli's.
My advise is to only use them once and change them after each smoke.
Another point, the Savinelli 6mm and 9mm balsa "filters" are not really filters, in that the smoke does not pass through them, so they have zero affect on the taste. What they do is absorb some (much) of the moisture to create a dryer smoke.
I wouldn't like or use actual filters where the smoke has to pass through them. I'd get some 9mm balsa filters and use those in your pipe, or do without them at all.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
+ 1....filters, balsa or carbon. Last me around 3/4 smokes with no bother (not large bowl pipes by the way), just find them so convenient, cleaner and smooth smoking providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.