PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
There's a fundamental difference between filters and what someone above rightly called "inserts." The paper filters that go in MM cobs or medicos are actually filters in that the smoke must be drawn through a filtering medium. The Savinelli balsa inserts and Brigham maple inserts are rightly called inserts because, in Savinellis, the smoke goes around the insert in the open areas left by the triangular balsa insert in the round tube, while in Brighams the insert is a hollow tube and the smoke goes through the middle. The inserts absorb extra moisture as the smoke goes by without impeding the draw.
The pipes are designed for the inserts and the draw is not impeded. In fact, Savinelli provides an insert to fill up the draft hole a little bit if an insert isn't used. I usually use a balsa insert, and they're usually quite wet after the smoke. But to be honest I've smoked them without the insert (and without the adapter) and didn't really notice a difference. Personally, I'd rather not have the moisture in the smoke so I usually use the insert.
we have a winner..

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Based on what many experienced pipers have expressed, I’ve chosen to go the no filters, no inserts route just to get the most flavor I can out of my smoke. However it is possible that down the road I may experiment with such devices.
Dot

Status
Not open for further replies.