PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Does the insert that replaces the Savinelli do anything?
Yes. Perfectly. I don't like pipes drilled for a filter without the adaptor in place, the draw is just too large. The Sav filter can be adapted to Dunhill 6 mm filter pipes as well.
I suspect that folks who smoke aromatic blends appreciate the filter option.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
"Hey John, our numbers don't look good. Sales are down, we need something to supplement our lost income. Let's make a gizmo thing A MA JIG and tell them they gotta keep buying them."
For every action, and equal and opposite cause:
"I want to smoke a pipe, but I want it to be easy. Mild, flavored tobacco. No having to carry around pipe cleaners and other jive. Make it simple like a microwave." - Average Consumer
The root of the issue is convenience.
I suspect that folks who smoke aromatic blends appreciate the filter option.
Take your filter pipe to work, bring only matches and tobacco. Smoke all day. When you get home, discard the soggy filter like a vacuum cleaner bag, used condom or disposable soda bottle.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I find the inserts pointless. But the balsa filters (really just moisture wicks) are great for driving or strolling to prevent gurgle.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Then simply don't use them!

A controversial topic to be sure, with a simple solution, or simple solutions. As discussed in the thread, I remove them, use the adapters, bought Forever Stems for retrofit my cobs, and crazy enough, sometimes/rarely use them, both balsa and paper. Not sure how some threads, on the most simple issues/topics go sideways, except that the thread is designed/destined to go side-ways or even backwards. I think the posts saying "Then simply don't use them!" hit the mark.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've just counted 3,486 things that are more-pissing-off than filters. YMMV.!
~~

If this is coffee, then please bring me some tea. But if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
~Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
LOL! That's an interesting thread... If you don't like filters don't use them! I personally find them useful especially when a blend tends to generate lots of moisture. I have non filter pipes and have used 9mm, medico (6mm), and Brigham maples. I would agree that Brigham is a far superior system. The idea about using a pipe cleaner as a filter is not new. Falcon pipes use them and the intention is to just absorb moister which works great.
Keep an open mind. Try different things and know that what would work in a certain situation may not in another.
But if you hate them that much just toss them out and smoke an open draw or if you don't like the open draw get an adaptor :).

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I used to hate filters. Then I was wondering about some blends I like that tend to give me tongue bite. Plumcake is an example of this. I found some 9mm filters and use a filter pipe. It was wonderful. Problem solved.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I made the mistake of thinking that the pipe market has become such a niche that the performance with or with out a filter would be very important.
In all markets, most consumers are either under-educated or for various reasons have trouble discerning good from bad.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Sorry. I refuse to smoke a filter. My intentions are to smoke a pipe.
But you are smoking a pipe, a filtered pipe, and the pipe cleaner simply mops up the moisture :0 Plus it costs pennies to replace....... Maybe I'm just not purist enough at this pipe smoking thing.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The choice of using a filter is simply a personal preference. Many feel that it helps absorb moisture, and or absorb some of the impurities which some will to do quite nicely to some extent. At times I like the ability of being able to run a pipe cleaner through the stem of the pipe during smoking which is something you obviously can’t do with a filter in the way. Also, I don’t like removing the stems from my pipes until I give them a thorough cleaning every week or so. But, with a filter in place you obviously must remove the stem quite often to remove the filter and replace it.
As for those that are under the misconception that a filter will remove, and or lessen the nicotine is absolutely ludicrous. There is NO filter which will reduce the nicotine no matter what claims Savinelli makes about their balsa filters, much less any other filter produced. Other than that, if they give you some type of satisfaction and are willing to put up with the fuss and mess of using them then by all means use them. Whatever floats your boat is all that matters. :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think filters are a stumbling block for new smokers, which is why I blather a bit on several threads trying to explain them. You buy a pipe, and then you find you've bought a whole other consumer item in the filters, which is good for the filter makers but only confuses a new pipe smoker, and a pipe is otherwise such a delightfully straightforward tool.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree, mso. But I think charging that Sav. and other good mass makers put filters in to bolster income is a bit far fetched. They do it because there's a demand for such systems. But then I don't have access to their cost of goods sold and markups to their distributors. But it sure ain't like Gillette and razor blades.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Man if filters confuse new smokers maybe smoking a pipe isn't a good idea for them.
As for filters buy pipes that don't use them, or don't use them in pipes that do. Not worth getting that stressed over them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thought this quote fit here:
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.
~ Abraham Lincoln

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If this is coffee, then please bring me some tea. But if this is tea, please bring me some coffee. Abe Lincoln
I laughed out loud! I love that. Sounds a lot like Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) or Will Rogers.

also: thread reminded me of an line from a movie spoken by Willie Nelson..."I don't know, we never used 'em".

Status
Not open for further replies.