PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
in Europe, the blends are made to be smoked with filters...

Does that mean any blends, er, blended in Deutschland or Denmark should be smoked in my Vauen? And leave the unfiltered pipes for those blended on this side of the pond? :?

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I smoke primarily aromatics, and I've tried every filter option that can be found. After lots of trying and patience, I find that I don't like paper filters, and for some of the same reasons already noted. Too restrictive is my main beef. Stingers work well for me, unless the stinger is too restrictive. Grabow stingers found in their ajustomatic pipes are about as restrictive as I can go...and there are times those come out. (the tin Grabow stingers do a good job 'attracting' a lot of moisture which would otherwise end up possibly causing increased tongue bite). My preference is balsa...and IF you can find them, the Aldo Velani design is much preferred to the Savinelli triangle balsa...because the Aldo filters provide more surface area to absorb more moisture. Lastly...if I'm smoking 9mm, I do use charcoal filters, typically Stanwell brand...but it seems to me most 9mm charcoal perform about the same. I don't find the 9mm charcoal, balsa, nor aluminum stingers to affect flavor...just flow, to some degree.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Pauli :"that might be preferred)But today I'm noticing that two main French companies (Cahcom and Butz C are getting producing them pipes with 9mm filters even for domestic market and not only for expor"
Yes, but Chacom and Butz C. sell more for export than small manufacturers ...
(I said "ecological" because I did not find the word English, but French brown tobacco is stronger than blond so smokers are more rustic, like Italians.
The other aromatic smokers of Europe are the most delicate taste

and prefer the filters.

(But it changes with the new ones in France and the perfumed foreign tobaccos.)

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
in Europe, the blends are made to be smoked with filters...

This one made me laugh. :) Hope nobody is buying it. The statement, not the tobacco. :)

Half of my pipes are without a filter option, all bought in Europe and all of them are burning European tobacco.

In other half I use balsa filters to collect some moisture. Charcoal filters are efficient too but they do affect flavours in a negative way.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'll throw my 2 cents in here for what its worth. I've used 2 types of filters;
brig.jpg

the maple filter on my Brigham is a hollow tube of wood that absorbs moisture. I've used it with Early Morning or Nightcap with no discernable effect on taste except that, in my opinion, it dried the smoke considerably and made it much more pleasant.
100-Pieces-Vauen-Smoking-Pipe-Filter-9mm-Smoking-Filters-Disposable-Tobacco-Pipe-Filter-Activated-Carbon-Filters.jpg

the charcoal filter used in my Vauen however severely restricted the flow for me and got in the way of enjoying the smoke.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
the maple filter on my Brigham is a hollow tube of wood that absorbs moisture.
Mike - I've not smoked a Brigham. But, I have two that I've purchased as part of estate pipe lots, and want to try. How many smokes do you get per filter before they go 'sour', or simply need replacing? And, where do you get your replacements? I'd like to grab some new filters and try these; Brigham has a very different approach to pipe filtering.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joeman, my Brigham was an estate with a nasty old filter in it. It looked to be as old as the pipe, from 1981!
I picked up a box of new filters from a local shop, but the employee had no idea what I was talking about. You are supposed to change them as they darken. I've had maybe 5 or 6 bowls and it still looks pale and dry. Your results may vary.
I'd be happy to send you a couple if you can't find any locally to you, they were very inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.