PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't associate fills with sandblast or rusticated pipes at all, only smooth or semi-rusticated. Has anyone encountered fills on blast or rusticated pipes, or do these finishes obviate the need to cover over a rough spot? Or does the texture hide the patch jobs?

I had Dan make me a pipe that I asked to be blasted, but as the grain chaser that he is, he went and made it smooth, because he brought out some awesome grain... but he had one pit, which I demanded didn't bother me at all. But, he blasted just that area to make the pit go away. Sigh. But, I love the pipe none-the-less. I think that small tiny pits bother the pipemakers more than they bother me. I'd rather have a small pit than a fill. But, none-the-less most pipemakers are more guided by their own sense of craftsmanship than the customers.

I have also had guys show me pipes they bought, pointing out small fills and pits that my eyes just don't see. They seemed so dissapointed. So, some guys obviously hate them.

But, as far as just rusticating or sandblasting to cover pits, I believe that some may do that, but some may chose wood for it's blasting and rustication properties, so they were destined to be blasts in the beginning.

And, just in case Dan reads this... I definitely treasure the pipes that he has made for me, and respect his craftsmanship based on principles. Even if I really wanted a blasted pipe. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I imagine pits are part of the design in how they go about blasting. In other words, they make sure that the blasted away areas include the pits. Same with rustication.

So, if they can't hide all the pits that way, filler is used. (Edit following Jesse's post just above.)

Reactions: diamondback

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cosmic, I agree that a small pit can give a pipe soul. Even fills, if they stay firmly in place. Getting perfectionistic about a natural material seems counter-intuitive. Japanese pottery is supposed to have irregularities, and these are not seen as flaws but enhancements. Part of the tea ceremony is to admire the unique aspect of the tea service -- pot, cups, etc. That is also why I like some wear to show on pipes that are generally well maintained. It speaks to their use over time and their giving pleasure. I don't like shabby pipes, but worn well-maintained pipes, yes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Back when I first started smoking a pipe almost 40 years ago, I could only afford seconds. I believe they were Comoy seconds but who knows. Most all of them had fills. In most cases, multiple fills. If memory serves me correctly, I mostly smoked some Vanilla Black Cavendish blend. The fills weren't that pronounced until I smoked enough bowls where the pipe darkened and the fills didn't. Not a huge deal, I didn't know any better and they smoked fine.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
About...oh, let's see...five years ago? I bought a new Tundra. Smooth finish. Yes it smoked well, but it was flipping covered with filled pits which were accented by the stain. It bothered me as I had expected better quality.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
you just don't notice them on a lot of blasts and rustic pipes.. but they are there for the most part.
a lot of time on a blast it will look like a "hole" in the blast that is then filled deep inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.