PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I just bought a Peterson Sherlock Holmes "squire". It appears to have two deep depressions (tooth marks). While I is still smokeable, I would like to fill them.

Any suggestions? Would a black marine gel coat be a good choice? Obviously, the repair will be in my mouth!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I wonder if you can get them out with steam. I've never tried this but I know Al and a lot of other folks have. I know it involves heating up a knife, a wet cloth, and using the steam to lift out the dings.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Super Glue and activated charcoal powder. Black glue is best. Heating will SOMETIMES remove or lessen toothmarks. Doesn't hurt to try it first.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As ejames mentioned, I've filled in deep teeth marks with superglue and vulcanite dust. The black super glue (Stew-Mac sells these tubes) does work best, but I haven't bought a tube yet.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Al,

Thanks for the response. I don't have an old stem to sand down, so the vulcanite dust will be a problem. ejames mentioned using activated charcoal...
Has anyone ever tried marine gel coat? Comes in a lot of colors, its 2 part. Just don't know how safe it would be to apply to vulcanite? Would it be safe to "chew on"?
I did find an old posting which mentioned heating the vulcanite stem with a bic lighter to relieve the "memory" in the vulcanite, raising the dent. How does vulcanite react to flame?

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I just bought some black Stik Fast, flexible CA off Ebay. Going to see how that works. Description says it's good for fills, and still remains a bit flexible, not brittle like standard CA.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A little charcoal will blend in fine, as long as it is black. I bet some pipe ash would also work well. I'm not familiar with Stick Fast, but checked out the website and it looks like an interesting product. Super Glue is used as a medical repair, so it is safe to put on a pipe stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.