PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
This has already been the topic of another thread (http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-white-knight-would-not-obey-but-i-tamed-him) but the issue is not resolved, hence this thread. I really find the wihite knight a wonderful blend. The problem is, I have a hard time smoking it. It was really dry from the tin and it burned like hell on my tongue. Funny thing is, despite the dryness, it was quite impossible for me to keep it lit. After a careful rehydration the tongue bite got less but, obviously, it's burning capabilities would not improve. I am still unable to smoke this stuff without having to relight it all the time. True, I'm not a smoker who can smoke a whole bowl with only one match but I do not have this problem with any other tobacco (I smoke English exclusively). Any thoughts?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I cannot keep Frog Morton lit. Same with Lancer's Slicers....but oh so tasty once or twice a year.
I can't speak to packing methods to help keep it lit, but on the bite...certain blends I have to have an air pocket...Red Rapparee being one of them. Otherwise it's just s hot mess for me. I also have to dump a bit of ash about mid bowl or I lose the flavor.
Not much help from me Thomas.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Set out the amount you plan on smoking in a single layer overnight. Yes I understand it is dry but try it anyway.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The air pocket is an oft-overlooked tool when it comes to smoking certain blends. Some swear that a conical chamber "concentrates" the flavors of some blends, but my uncultured palate cannot discern the difference. The chief advantage of a conical chamber for me is the ease of "cannonballing" to get a good air pocket when needed.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I have not tried White Knight, but after reading multiple threads relevant to the blend I wonder if it's just one of those that isn't worth your time. There are sooo many other blends out there and certainly some are easier maintenance and provide just as good of a smoking experience. It doesn't seem worth it to fight with a finicky blend if it's giving you that much trouble. My $0.02

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's interesting to read this because I have yet to experience any of these problems smoking WhiteKnight. Unlike many tinned blends, WhiteKnight is tinned at the optimum level of moisture for smoking, according to its maker. It doesn't require rehydration. I've found that to be true in my experience. Besides, overly damp tobacco loses flavor and can cause tongue bite.
A Balkan blend works best in a wide bowl wherein the variety of favors can expand and release. It's best simmered. Slow cadence and sips, not puffs, bring out the flavors and avoid bite. If it goes out, so what? Smoking a bowl to the bottom is evidence of nothing. That's why we have matches.
Narrow conical chambers are best suited to concentrate flavors in more delicate types of tobacco, like Virginias. Oriental blends are flavor powerhouses that work best in larger diameter chambers where they can expand.
If you're looking for a blend that best approximates Balkan Sobranie, WhiteKnight is the top contender. The Germains reissue is a flop that resembles Balkan Sobranie about as much as I resemble Kate Upton.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OH my! Please post pix of yourself and maybe change your avatar; Kate Upton is gorgeous, and it's great we have a member who looks like her. But your avatar is quite deceiving, then! :lol:
Glad you posted the bowl size guidelines. I need to pay more attention to what goes in which pipe. I have one dedicated to aros, but now I think I can remember: English/Balkans in wide chambers; VA's in narrower ones.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I must be a pipe-smoking troglodyte. While I can tell a difference between smoking VA's in a narrow bowl rather than a wide one, I cannot tell a difference smoking them in a narrow cylindrical bowl as opposed to a narrow conical bowl. I detect no flavor concentration in the conical chamber, although I wish I could.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I must be a pipe-smoking troglodyte. While I can tell a difference between smoking VA's in a narrow bowl rather than a wide one, I cannot tell a difference smoking them in a narrow cylindrical bowl as opposed to a narrow conical bowl. I detect no flavor concentration in the conical chamber, although I wish I could.
It's more a matter of height to width ratios. Narrow tall bowls work better to concentrate flavors of delicate tobaccos. I find with a narrow conical bowl, some blends give me a more focused picture of the ingredients, but not all blends and not all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.