PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
As the crowd starts to build at the Pheasant Run Resort for the big pipe show this weekend so many of us pipe and tobacco nerds must lament the fact that we aren't there for whatever reason or reasons. It's too bad there's not a you tube feed coming from the exhibit hall or in the smoking tent, maybe someone will get the hint. I know of a few guys that are there and they drive out from SW PA every year, puffing all the way, that'd be a fun ride I'm sure. I've never been so it's hard to imagine what I might be missing but I can make a few guesses. Anyone not there this year that's wishing they were? What would we expect to see, experience on Friday night?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
So it's just Puffy and me huh? Everyone else must have dates at the big dance. Oh well, nows a good time to buy up all the good estates on eBay!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've never been to a pipe show but I know about a dozen guys who did go to Chicago this year. I've been getting text updates so I'm living vicariously through them. I'm sure there will be some tales to tell when they get back.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Most of these are just so far away from me, at least enough to discourage me going (I'm a college student, so it's hard to dedicate a large amount of time to these events). However, I do plan to attend the NOLA pipe show this october!!

May 31, 2012
Looks like things are ramping up...
https://instagram.com/explore/tags/chicagopipeshow/
I doubt I'll ever make it to Chicago, but I will one day go to Raleigh or Columbus methinks...

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I will be going to the Columbus show this year so I'm pretty amped about that! Hope to run into some PM members.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
Work always seems to interfere with the Chicago show. Luckily I've made the Saint Louis show the last two years. I'm not a fan of crowds either but enjoying seeing pipe people and the different vendors. :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks for the Instagram link to the show MLC! I at least got somewhat of a pipe show fix from all those pics and it looks like a wonderful venue for such a display. Those bags of Krumble Kake brought back some delicious memories and it'd be great to have a bowl right now. I'll be on the hunt for some of that in Columbus come August for sure. It's been years since I've had any.......Krumble Kake that is.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I don't think Krumble Kake will ever be in stock, or Stonehaven, Special Latakia Flake and Penzance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you get the chance, by all means go to a pipe show, big or small. I grew up in the Chicago area, so I know a little about the lay of the land. But don't feel too downhearted. We have quite a conversation and exchange going on here at Forums every day of the year and all through the night in some cases. I suspect we'll get some pretty good reporting from both Chicago and New Orleans.

May 31, 2012
settersbrace - yeah it's fun to look in there and get a small glimpse.
The pipe show pipe report is most excellent too,

Ryan Alden & Clark Layton get big props...

http://tobaccodays.com/uncategorized/chicago-pipe-show-2015-pipe-picture-report/
And hey,

Krumble Kake you say?

Found some of that stuff last week, I ain't ever tried it so I couldn't pass it up, ain't sampled it yet though, opened the bag and jarred it, I could have sold it for double what I paid if I didn't open it, but I'm sorta stoked I got lucky and would like to at least taste the stuff,

and hey,

you started that thread that turned into the MoT moniker 'neath my name and that thread gave me warm feelgood fuzzies...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/misterlowercase

...so,

I owe ya one man,

pm me yer mailing addy and I'll ship out a goodful 'o bowls for ya,

something Krumbly yer way shall come!

:puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
settersbrace, If I ever do get to the Chicago show, it will not be for quite a few years. You certainly are not alone.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Troy, I'm speechless, what a kind gesture! As for the MOT title recommendation, you certainly have earned it many times over. I'll PM you.

I'm on the sidelines as well. I've got my money stretched thin this year with a daughter about to graduate, another one turning 16, and taxes hitting me pretty hard this year. I am going to scrape a bit aside to go to NOLA for the show in October though. We can take the train in and out, and make it into a getaway for Lora and I. But, as for Chicago, I'm just living it vicariously through the forum.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I live in Indianapolis, so distance is not really an issue. For me, its money..as with many of us. I have a very good friend who goes every year, he writes articles for PT magazine and has promised to show me around...a good time to look forward to next year. I want to have enough to do it right, buy some tobacco and a new pipe as well...so I'm going to put away about 60 monthly. I'm feeling quite alone too...not just missing the show but my ex takes my daughter to Texas in three weeks and my heart aches. It good to see you folks here though...makes me feel a little better...I'll take that!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Maybe if I didn't buy and pipes and tobacco for the whole year I could save up enough to go to Chicago. My brother lives there and I could stay with him, but that would mean forbearing for the entire year, and in these matters a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Then too I could see myself feeling pretty forlorn going from table to table manned by the luminaries of the pipe world from the world over, and not being able to buy, having already spent my money during the preceding year; and there aren't many things so beautiful as an artisan pipe. What's the point of window shopping and never stopping to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.