PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I was just checking out an order at Iwan Ries and noticed in the shipping that it said FedEx no longer ships tobacco products. It may be old news to you guys but I just found out. It's just gonna get harder and harder to get tobacco. Meanwhile, you can smoke all the other stuff you want to. That's just crazy.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Their loss, stupid move on their part, what... Non-smokers are going to ship more fedex because of that?

"Politically correct" can cost you... better to keep your mouth shut & not draw attention to your stupidity.

Something that I should observe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One time I took a gift to a pipe-smoker friend to the P.O., and when I mentioned what it was, the clerk

did a sort of double take and asked the supervisor if it was okay, which it was and is. But I was fascinated

that it required asking. FedEx may protest that it is because they don't know the age of possible recipients

and don't want to be responsible for minors receiving tobacco. People have a tendency to want to legalize

and regulate themselves to "perfection." I think laws and regulations can serve a good purpose, but over-use

has always been a big mistake -- prohibition, prohibiting women from voting, and so on, make your list.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Something sounds off here. The local B&M gets FedEx deliveries every day from tobacco suppliers. If FedEx has changed their policy for delivery to home addresses then piss on 'em. UPS and the US Mail will suffice.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
This is from FedEx's website.
Prohibited & Restricted Articles:
Tobacco Products

Tobacco products will be accepted only when shipped from a licensed dealer or distributor to another licensed dealer or distributor. The shipper is solely responsible for compliance with any applicable regulations, which may vary from state to state.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
If things get too bad maybe we could all become distributors. I distribute tobacco to my pipes everyday.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Mp31, that may be true (smoking anything you want) but FedEx sure won't be shipping ganja, and neither will the other services.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Their loss, stupid move on their part, what... Non-smokers are going to ship more fedex because of that?

"Politically correct" can cost you... better to keep your mouth shut & not draw attention to your stupidity.

Something that I should observe.
No. First, tobacco shipments from non-dealers represent a truly minuscule niche of the overall market. Second, if they are like every other company of size, they've run the numbers and they know exactly what the costs/benefits are, from disgruntled customers to insurance premium breaks.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
They can run any kinds of numbers they want to.

You can also run a survey & word it so that results come back the way you want it to.

Without knowing exactly why they did it & I don't know, in my own personal opinion, it was a "PC" statement. Otherwise UPS & USPS would be doing it.

And then you & all of us would be going to their local B&M. Or quit smoking.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A friend of mine used to FedEx me tobacco from the UK until the pick up fellow from FedEx said they couldn't accept it as it was inflammable which I thought was quite amusing. I tried to explain to the chap that fire proof pipe tobacco while an exciting concept was really never going to take off and sadly the same applied to my FedEx package! Have a fun weekend chaps

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
FedEx couriers/drivers get paid by the drop. They don't make PC decisions or whatever. What is loaded/allocated on their route gets delivered & they get paid.

But they also buy their vehicles & are damn near a contractor.(Or are)

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
That outfit is the " worst " courier in the business.

The other thing is that most have not snapped to is the fact that we are living in a Fascist system.

Status
Not open for further replies.