PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I know we've had some pretty exhaustive threads discussing FDA legislation and seeking comments from manufacturers. I'd like to know the thoughts of any online retail or Brick and Mortar businesses. How do you expect it to affect you? What should we expect to change in August?

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
Well, I certainly can't think of anything positive coming from it. I believe it will seriously impact the entire hobby and industry if the reg gets implemented as it now stands. I see lots of jobs being lost, and having to worry about hoarding baccy. Not a fun time, to be sure.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah, at this point I believe that hoarding tobacco is a wise move. It'll only get worse. Can you imagine the FDA relaxing its stance on tobacco ever? I can't.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I stopped by my local B&M to purchase a couple tins last week and asked the owner what he thought and he just shook his head sadly and said "the FDA regs are going to kill us." Then he made a couple comments about how dumb some of the regulations are and how the popular house blends that they blend on site will soon be prohibited.
I only had a few seconds and couldn't stay to chat further with him on more of the specific ways the regs will impact his shop. I'll probably swing by next month once everyone has had a chance to read it in greater detail, etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The retailers aren't pontificating on this much. I think they want to see how it shakes out, how enforcement actually proceeds. There's going to be blow-back, backfire, unintended consequences. I think people are widely aware of the health concerns with tobacco. Legalizing and regulating the whole discussion becomes intrusive and invasive and abusive. Perhaps that will become obvious and accommodations may be made. Or that's just happy talk. I don't think the retailers should fold their tents before there is no choice. Then there will be plenty of others to take their place who won't be paying any taxes, for starters. These won't be the nice folks who own pipe shops and belong to pipe clubs. So, see where that gets us.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It's possible you may see more bulk blends and fewer being sold by B&Ms when the worst happens, mainly due to the higher pricing. Those who have less money to spend, but want to smoke, will go for the cheaper option. I don't see bulk going away, but it may be that shops will have to label them with their real names and not house names.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
A lot of B&Ms relabel Lane and Peter Stokkebye bulk blends as various house blends; I wonder if they will have to keep the Lane/Stokkebye name to avoid the FDA regulations.
Oops this is what happens when you don't read all of a post......sorry Jim

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Perhaps we will see an industry of pipe tobacco flavorings pop up? We could buy the individual tobaccos, along with toppings of our choice to add at home. Then these forums would spring up with threads about our favorite recipes. It should certainly be easy to buy unadulterated stock of straight virginia, perique, kentucky, burley, latakia, etc.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
One way to interpret the regs is that if a shop mixes a Lane bulk blend with a Peter Stokkebye bulk blend, that shop is "manufacturing" a tobacco product, which would now be illegal.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Certainly possible, but a horrible interpretation of manufacturing.
I hope that just the bulk providers of tobacco are the only ones subject to this. That way, blenders would be somewhat off the hook on this aspect. Unlikely, as that would be far less to regulate.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
One way to interpret the regs is that if a shop mixes a Lane bulk blend with a Peter Stokkebye bulk blend, that shop is "manufacturing" a tobacco product, which would now be illegal.
This is exactly the example my B&M was speaking of when he said they'd have to stop some of their house blends, which is in essence a combining of two different existing blends.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm going to start an offshore B&M: sail into international waters, and stop in for low-cost tobacco and many different blends ;)

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I'm going to start an offshore B&M: sail into international waters, and stop in for low-cost tobacco and many different blends

LIES!!! We all know the only blend on your boat would be Royal Yacht! :nana:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've always said, "On the eve of a Tyrannical Centralized Government, every Business needs to seek out a Protection Agency." Each and every business is a private entity, where not one of us has any political will to regulate. The FDA was started by Teddy the Big Shot Progressive, and has no authority. None. No statutory law, nor Federal Constitutional law, binds thee to this 4th Branch of US government. Take a stand for your private property B&M, dare this leviathan, the people will back you. I'll stand with arms to protect a brother's private property. Will You?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The first lawsuit against the FDA Deeming Rule has been fired. http://cigar-coop.com/2016/05/news-e-liquid-company-files-first-legal-challenge-against-fda.html

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
There's no regulation (yet) against private citizens blending for their own consumption, so B&M's could still sell their house blends as "kits", pre-measured component tobaccos which the buyer would mix together.

Status
Not open for further replies.