PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
If they were to remove nicotine from pipe tobacco, I would smoke up my stash and move on. I've never smoked cigarettes and I am not a nicotine addict... but the nicotine helps me relax and gives enjoyment to smoking. Without it, I would rather just drink!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Seems likely that this is years down the road, if at all.
I think the much more immediate threat is internet sales going away. I suspect if not for the cigar lobby that would probably have already happened.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
This is just another example of the cigarette companies being in bed with the FDA. This proposal by the FDA will greatly increase the profits of tobacco companies. It works like this: People that crave cigs have a certain nicotine level that they require to satisfy their craving. One person might smoke 10 cigs a day and another might smoke 20. Considering that an average cig has 1 mg of nicotine in it means that the first person "needs" 10 mg of nic/day and the other needs 20mg/nic per day. Now.. cut the amount of nicotine in half and the first person needs to smoke 20 cigs/day and the other person needs 40 cigs/day. So the cig companies have just doubled their sales all the while appearing to be the good guys. Quite ingenious.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
And this is why I have TAD, Tobacco Apocalypse Disorder. A seemingly irrational fear of the Tobacco Apocalypse causing me to horde copious amounts of tobacco. 8O

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I really don't see how this will apply to most pipe tobacco. Cigarette tobacco is an abomination of chemicals, tobacco paper, ect.; they add nicotine to the mixture so can easily control the levels of it. They have been doing this since forever to increase the addictive properties of cigarettes. Pipe tobacco isn't messed with like that, I have never heard of a pipe blend that nicotine is added to other than by the type of leaf itself.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
We need to instigate a medical nicotine movement.

I think it has been established that nicotine has a calming effect, and that ain't nothing.
And nicotine sharpens your thinking and relaxes you all at the same time - perfect for golf when you need to figure out the right shot then execute it without any jitters.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd like to see citations "curl." Although, I'd readily agree that if a person has a nicotine dependency, needs a hit, then of course the application of nicotine will provide a respite from the any physical/mental manifestations of the addiction.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I think you can google nicotine + depression, or nicotine + adhd, or nicotine + therapy and find a few stories.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And nicotine sharpens your thinking and relaxes you all at the same time - perfect for golf when you need to figure out the right shot then execute it without any jitters.
I must be an outlier when it comes to golf and nicotine: I seem to figure out the right shot when smoking my pipe, but the execution is spotty at best.....

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I must be an outlier when it comes to golf and nicotine: I seem to figure out the right shot when smoking my pipe, but the execution is spotty at best.....
Sounds like me playing pool!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my case FDA is too late as I have about 75 pounds of the high-voltage stuff in jars. I plan to levitate above my death bed toking on Dark Flake:).

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Saltedplug^^^^^ :rofl: I'll be right there with you buddy with "From the Edge of the Deep Greem Sea" playing from angelic trumpets.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think nicotine should be amped up just to induce addiction. If it is in the leaf, okay. If not, enhancement is a negative. What's this about premium cigars? Is that to say cheap cigars will be regulated differently? Regulations for the cigars smoked by the landscaping crew but not for the owner of the company? That sounds more than just a little prejudicial. Also alarming that premium cigars have some special dispensation whereas pipe tobacco is lumped in with vaping and cigarettes. What's that about? It all sounds pretty cheesy. Lots of lobbiests and money changing hands here, and big corporations throwing their weight around.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hand-rolled cigar exemption due to CRA intervention and the bankroll it amassed from affluent cigar smokers. If you want something done, buy influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.