PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Ralph Stanley is still alive? Great
If Ralph Stanley is in fact still alive, then he must be clawing desparately at the inside of his casket, because they buried the man in 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Stanley

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Hawkwind, Dead Can Dance, King Crimson and one of my favorites that you likely haven' heard: Acid Mother's Temple
dorlj9v.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Lilly Hiatt opened up- she's the daughter of John Hiatt, and quite a talent.
I didn’t know about Lilly, I’ll have to look her up...and I’m definitely a Hiatt fan, but haven’t really kept up with his more recent albums, which I need to remedy.
One I’d add that hasn’t already been mentioned here is Jackson Browne.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I saw your vacuum sealer in action. I sure hope he was dead or at least unconscious before you packed him. Is Gordon Lightfoot still alive, btw, or is he also cellared in the barn?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ralph Stanley's more eternal than I thought. Sorry guys. Saw him i concern in his last few years; I guess he left an impression. Gotta keep the obits. peck', say hi to him there in your cellar; he couldn't have a better resting place. Hope he was/is a pipe smoker.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Billy gibbons new blues album
I actually preordered that album on vinyl and he signed my copy. Billy Gibbons is just awesome.
But we still have Bob Dylan (not sure if he tours much anymore) The Stones who are apparently immortal, Eric Clapton (although he's not touring as much anymore), Van Halen goes on tour still, Metallica still tours like mad, Megadeth does as well, Iron Maiden, AC/DC maybe, I know they're recording a new album with Brian Johnson back but idk if he can tour again. Slash just put out a new album that's pure rock and roll and Joe Bonamassa also released a new album which is really good. Those two I realize are a bit younger though, still worth mentioning.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I still tend to think of any group or solo artist who got started post '70s as new.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My favorite new artist is Patty Griffin. I always have to remind myself that her debut album came out in '96 and she's 54 now.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Have seen most acts listed even saw Prine as the back up act to Bonnie Raitt when she was white hot. The one guy I really want to see is Ray Wylie Hubbard.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
And on the "It's some kind of a friggin' miracle" front, Shane MacGowan is still alive. Maybe not active musically (?), but still drawing breath.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Good lord , dame Vera Lynn is still around .. she was everyone’s sweetheart in the 40s ... I’m looking over the white cliffs of Dover
.. did anyone mention Elton John yet .. Peter frampton ..

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
We've seen a lot of good shows this year. Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Keb Mo, John Prine, Patty Griffin, Colin Hay, Mavis Staples, for “old timers”. We've seen a lot of newer acts, too.
Emmylou Harris is still touring; she has a concert coming up with Steve Earle soon. Elton John and Paul Simon are retiring imminently. Mark Knopfler has a new album coming out next month; he usually tours shortly thereafter.
It amazes me that some of these acts are still rolling along and still bringing in the huge crowds. I saw U2 in concert over 30 years ago in an enormous stadium, and when they go on tour these days they still fill up huge stadiums. James Taylor still fills an arena up here in New England. Fleetwood Mac just filled an arena in Boston recently. Good to see these groups chugging along.

Status
Not open for further replies.