PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Any other Deadheads? *Raises hand*

I have a spread in Relix from the 1992 tour.
Bluegrass fans, Del McCoury is still working like crazy, I believe he put out a new album last year. Del was in Bill Monroe's band.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
rmpeeps, Asleep At The Wheel did a street concert a few years ago during the Republic Of Texas bike rally. They were awesome.
jay-roger.jpg

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I saw Ian Anderson at a packed Ravinia show a couple weeks ago. He just turned 71 in August, and he still going strong.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
Wife and I just got home from seeing Steve Martin and Martin Short. Great music and comedy. Short is 68 and Martin is 73.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I am a photographer, I managed to get my gear in the door at a show in DC and went in early. We were able to get up front and I got some decent images. The first set was rather comfortable and I could move around a bit. I recall getting some good photos of Jerry during Mississippi Half Step. As the show progressed, the crowd got bigger, and bigger. By the time the 2nd set started we were getting crushed up against the barriers. It was all rather unpleasant but I sent Relix the images and they ran them for the Summer 1992 tour issue. I believe Hot Tuna is on the cover. I did another show where Sting opened up and Jerry snuck out on stage for a song,, Relix would not run them because they did not believe Jerry ever played with Sting.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
To Lasttango
I saw Hawkwind twice in the '80s. Once with a stipped down band; perfectly decent. And once with the whole lot of them; Very powerful.

Rythm guitar is not rated as highly as I think it should be. Dave Brock is a master.
Never saw King Crimson, but I did catch Mr. Fripp playing with Michael Brook and David Sylvian for "The First Day" tour.

I didn't want to pick up my guitar for a week! I had crisis. :?
And just before the end, I saw BB play. Such tone. Pure beauty.
Loads of great bands I wish I'd seen in their heyday. But I'm sure there are more to come.
Check out Trilok Gurtu if you don't already know him. Saw him three times. I recommend "Arkeology" and "Broken Rythms"
Oh and lest I forget. I had the immense privilege of seeing Cocteau Twins at their peak.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm leaving this thread alone. "I see dead people." That is, I've cited at least two people who are no longer alive, which is somewhat a premise of the thread.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Any other Deadheads? *Raises hand*

I have a spread in Relix from the 1992 tour.
Bluegrass fans, Del McCoury is still working like crazy, I believe he put out a new album last year. Del was in Bill Monroe's band
I'll raise my hand too. A lot of the older deadheads gravitated to Bluegrass when Jerry died, younger ones to Phish. I'd be in the older category. I saw Phish first when they they were playing little venues like the Jazzoo at the Cincinnati Zoo and kept going periodically with a younger friend. Those shows got rough. On a positive note, I saw Bill Monroe the year before he passed in a little theater. My friend bowed out at the last moment and, not to miss it, I went alone. Got to the ticket counter and the girl said "How many". I sheepishly replied, "One". She smiled and said, "Then I've got the seat for you.", fourth row center. He was 90 something and they wouldn't let him play long, but he came out 4 times. Great show.
I saw Sting open for the Dead at Buckeye Lake. Was that pic from that show?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a huge Stones fan, but for a certain kind of rock, and/or a certain kind of show, they are still the best. However, I hugely enjoy Keith Richards who puts over as mostly a drugged out lout, but has some really thoughtful things to say, mostly about music and other musicians from time to time. Always enjoy his interviews. Wouldn't want to meet him ... clearly I'm not his "thing." If he had some reason to see me on an equal footing, we might have some good conversation, but that wouldn't happen.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Aerosmith. I’ve seen them 3 or 4 times since 1990. They are however working on a final tour and that makes me sad. I will be seeing them on this go round.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Iconic British guitarist Jeff Beck came to Budweiser Stage in Toronto on Wednesday 1st August 2018. This concert was nothing less than amazing. Opening acts Paul Rodgers from Bad Company and Ann Wilson of Heart were awesome as well.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
@ mso489 I am sorry...

I took a turn down a Dead End street, my apologies.

I should have mentioned Dead and Company myself. John Mayer is the first replacement guitarist who "gets" it.
One of my favorite perennial rockers is Clapton. I still have a few albums with him from the Bluesbreakers. I know this is heresy but although I always ranked him as very good, he was not really my favorite. As he has aged though, he has gotten even better. His style has become more elegant and he can come up with some licks that sneak into your ear and surprise.

I have had friends that were into the Grateful Dead and the jam band thing. I have even been to a show, but I was very bored, being like the only person no flipping my wig on the Devil's nectar or Lucy's Sky Diamond, as the kiddos say, right? I have just always thought of the jam band style as an attempt at Jazz improvisation, without any knowledge of Jazz improvisation, nor the rules of music. :puffy:
It seems to be a secret club, where the musicians and the fans have to be focused in on the same drug induced wavelengths to communicate... whereas everyone else listening just hears the endless squealing squelching noises of people who cannot play their instruments, nor make any lyrics that make sense.
:puffy:
I do have tickets to see David Byrne this week. I have been looking forward to this for a few months...

Same as it ever was, Same as it ever was...

Status
Not open for further replies.