Favorite Way to Dress a Homemade Pizza Up?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
About the only way I'll eat pizza anymore is when my fiance makes it home made. She uses Trader Joe's herb&garlic dough and Trader Joe's marinara sauce with grated mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Taste's just like the pizza I used to eat all the time back in Cincinnati, La Rosa's.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, green olives, and almonds. Sounds bad but tastes great. Local pizza place back home in Utah made it.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
arugula, goat cheese, grilled onions... OR good ol' sausage, onions, mushrooms, peppers, and giardinara

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
How about some more recipes for a hand kneaded crust ?

I tried making a dough for the first time awhile back, it came out a bit too fluffy almost like a biscuit.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Mash up some anchovies and mixem up an a small container with some olive oil. Use your finger and slather it on the edge of the crust. Then top the edges with grana padano or Parmesan. Don't worry it won't taste fishy if you don't use too much. Just salty and umami.
Dough tip, make the dough wetter than you think it should be and texture of the crust will be much lighter. For best results use a baking stone very well preheated and bake at 500 degrees. I like to put my pizza on a baking rack to cool so maximum crisp of the crust is retained.

Jul 15, 2011
I never knew there was a pizza making thread! Thats what I do all night at the restaurant!
My house specialty: Creamy garlic herb sauce (top secret), some super thin sliced prosciutto, grilled onions, fresh mushrooms, top off with mozzerella, parmesan, provolone cheeses and pepperoni. Slather a little garlic herb oil around the crust before baking. Available in thin or thick crust.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Where I live, you'd get beat-up if someone saw you putting pineapple on a pizza. (LOL)
As a fellow Chicagoan, I have to support cortez in this. Many things do not belong on pizza, fruit is one of them. Tofu, squash or other goofy crap can be left off as well. Spinach oddly enough, is ok. It's pizza, slaughter a pig and throw some sausage or pepperoni on there.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I like to use a sourdough. Toppings are tomate sauce: canned tomatoes passed through food a mill and strained, mozzarella, parmesan, olive oil and fresh basil. Not too much and keep it simple.

Or ricotta broccoli, spinach, mozzarella, parmesan and ovil oil.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up in Chicagoland, but I do not like deep dish pizza. I prefer to just go to a casserole. For pizza I like a really thin crust, New York style, made with quality ingredients. And though it sounds snooty, the other secret to great pizza is upgrading the cheese. The better the cheese, the better the pizza. In the NY area, it's said the mob sells a lot of the pizza cheese, and it's not high quality. On the other hand, NYC has Murray's, the cheese market, which sells some of the best cheese in the world, so that's available. But any upgrade, from Whole Foods or the quality cheese section of your grocery chain, can upgrade your cheese selection. Do what you like with the toppings, but if the crust is good (and for me extra thin) and the cheese is the best available, the pizza will be good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Agree. I don't always understand these exhumed threads, but once they are revived (they're alive!) it doesn't seem appropriate to start yet another.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Many traditional pizza sauces involve a few tablespoons of wine, which might get you that "grape jelly" flavor.
The public rarely complains about added sugar, salt and fat...

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The best homemade pizza is to sprinkle lots of cheese and cooked (crumbled) bacon on the dough and bake it. Pull it from the oven; cover it with a layer of mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, and diced tomato. Cut, and serve. You can substitute steak for bacon if you want so that it's a Steak-L-T pizza instead of a BLT pizza.

khouji

Lurker
Nov 9, 2017
For me, the best pizza ever is when the dough is at it's best! ;) And when there is mozzarella cheese all over the dough! WoW!

Status
Not open for further replies.