Favorite Way to Dress a Homemade Pizza Up?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Around my house.... BBQ Pizza reigns as King.. after we have smoked a Pork loin or Butt and eaten what we want.. the left overs are reserved for pizza. HARD to beat!!

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Around my house.... BBQ Pizza reigns as King.. after we have smoked a Pork loin or Butt and eaten what we want.. the left overs are reserved for pizza. HARD to beat!!

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
Bowhatchie how do you fit the pork loin into your pipe to smoke it and BUTT well we'll leave that one alone. LOL

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Mostly like one of the ways to do flake.. cut into strips and then quarter the strips into cubes.... best smoked in a cob as it certainly does tend to leave a bit of grease and residue! As to the Butts best kicked or patted..

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I normally go for traditional pizza toppings when I make a home made pie. Plus I really love pepperoni...Lots of pepperoni. My wife prefers vegetables on here pizza.
We normally lightly saute some red onions and mushrooms to put on them. I love red onions on pizza as well.
We then use different cheeses that melt well depending on our mood, but mainly use mozzarella and sometimes we'll mix in a little cheddar with it.
Another thing that I am a huge fan of is; putting it on the grill to cook it. Here are some photos of some of our grilled pizza.
Pizza001.jpg

Pizza002.jpg

Pizza003.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What Bob says reminded me of a pizza place in Kansas called Shakey's (sp?) that made

something called a "Left-hander's Special." I thought is was a pretty good, although

unlikely, combination of toppings: diced onion, black olive and shrimp -- with plenty

of sauce.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love pizza.

However; my wife can't eat anything with gluten in it.

So, I have developed a pizza crust that is made from rice.

It is very popular. My youngest daughter asks me to make my pizza for parties.

My niece hates rice, she refuses to eat it... She is now 7, but when she first tried it she was 5.

It was absolutely hysterical when she first tried it. (She didn't know it was made with rice.) Two slices is all an adult can handle. When she finished off her 3rd slice she sat back in her chair and let out one very loud and satisfied sigh, and said, "I wish I could eat some more, but I think I'd go boom"....

We all were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes.
It's simple to make.
3 cups cooked white rice, cooled slightly (If still hot it will cook the eggs before you can mix them in.)

2 med. eggs

Salt, Garlic powder, and Basil to taste

1/4 cup of milk (a little less)

2 Tbs. butter or margarine
Mix ingredients in a large bowl.

Spread evenly on a large warm pizza pan lightly oil with olive oil.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Crust will begin to brown slightly, don't over bake it.

Spread thin layer of sauce and bake for 5 more minutes. We use Ragu Pizza Sauce.

(This will allow some of the water to evaporate from the sauce.)

Top as usual: We like fresh sliced mushrooms, pepperoni, and a pound of grated mozzarella cheese.

Put back in oven and bake until toppings are cooked an the cheese melted, (another 15 to 20 minutes).
Sometimes we use Portabella Mushroom Caps as crusts and build our own pizzas... Mmmmmmm good stuff.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
There aren't many things I haven't tried on pizza. My mom and I used to spend a day every so often making pizzas and then distribute them to the family. I love the combination of roasted or fresh garlic and olive oil, sauteed egg plant, roasted red peppers and caramelized onions. Any variation of roasted or sauteed veggies works. I often add goat cheese to this as well. Roma tomatoes, bocconcini mozzarella and fresh basil works very well on a base of olive oil and garlic. I could go on for days about pizza...

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
ohin3-

Thanks for the roasted red peppers idea.
Could you clarify as to whether it was Red Bell Peppers or Hot Red Peppers

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Not chili peppers. Any sweet red pepper will do. You can buy them in a jar already roasted and skinned, but I usually make my own. I core them and slice them length wise, lightly coat them in olive oil and them roast them on the grill or broiler till they blister and blacken a bit. Take them straight out of the oven and seal them in a paper bag till they cool off. This will loosen the skins. once cool you can peel the skins off and use how you would like. I usually wait till I find a good deal at a local market on red peppers and make and can large batches of them.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
My wife and I have 2 favorites we make. Obviously I got garlic and a little olive oil on both of these.

1. Prosciutto and Caramelized Onion pizza.

2. Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil pizza.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
That reminds me surfmac, I once had a home made pie that had:

1) blue cheese

2) prosciutto

3) marmalade
Yes, that 3rd item is for real. It was delicious. It's just those 3 items on a pie put to bake. Absolutely fabulous.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I love Blue cheese also.
BTW-I'm making my forth pizza tonight.Thanks to the above help,they are really turning out fantastic!Thank-you all.
The one thing I may never change is the Pillsbury pre-bought pizza dough.This product really impresses me.If they ever stopped this product on the market,I could only hope to find a recipe that would bring me close to it.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hey ernest, do you have a trader joe's in your area? I highly suggest trying their pizza doughs, specifically the wheat dough.

Status
Not open for further replies.